Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sq Foot Building Costs

Options
  • 22-07-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

In light of the turn down in the economy, the drop in house prices and redundencies in the building trade, what is a realistic price per sq foot for domestic building work. How do you best get quotes from a number of builders? Has anybody had building work done in the roscommon area recently that they would reccommend someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,868 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Depends on type of house, method of construction (full contract or direct labour) and the area in which you are building.

I have no idea what the charges would be down the wesht but I would imagine that for full contact you could be looking at 80 - 100 euro/ft2 with maybe a 15& saving by going direct labour although that would not be guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just supervised a direct labour project 30 miles from Cork City, it came in at €82/ft2 for 4,100 sq ft build.

Witnessed the signing of a Building Contract for 3,200 sq ft build in Waterford County, close to Youghal, for €85/ft2, last week.

Two more contracts about to be signed for builds Waterford City, €85 and €80/ft2 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Wow . Was the following included ?

floor finishes
    external works
    kitchen
    wardrobes
    decorations
    ceramic wall tiling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No, the following are not included in any of the above.

1. Fitted Kitchen or appliances.
    2. Floor coverings,
    3. Wall Tiles,
    4. Fire Fronts or grates.
    5. Lawns, entrance gates, piers or wing walls.
    6. Painting.

The drives are to be kerbed and dusted and rolled,
    The lawns would be levelled but not seeded.
    The footpaths and ramps are to be in place.
    The bathroom suites are to be provided in plain white.
    The septic tank or treatment system is always included.

We always leave a provision for the builder to quote for any of the works not included seperately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dextifier

Thanks
    That is really interesting. My particular project is an old cottage in roscommon, which at the moment stands at about 1250 sq ft. I'm hoping to renovate this while adding about another 750 sq ft. Can major renovation work be priced as routinely per sq ft as new build. Some idea of the difference between these two costs will help me decide on the final shape and size. Thanks again.

Advertisement