Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a lease

Options
  • 22-07-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me. If i sign a 1 year lease and say in 6 months i need to move out can I just give the landlord 1 months written notice and he has to give my deposit back (assuming there is no damage to the apartment) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Did you sign a lease? If so look at it and there should be a point on notice periods.

General rule is one month from either party. Should be no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This always comes up, legally you're liable for the entire length of the lease, or you have to find someone to take over the lease (that meets the landlords approval), the deposit is there to cover the property itself, unpaid bills, cleaning, damage etc.

Usually, landlords will be flexible with the tenant, and agree a suitable notice time to get someone else moved in (though you'll have to put up with viewings in the mean time), however, they are not obliged to do this, just like they can't put you on the street after 6 months either.

Advertisement