Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long are cheques valid for?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

I have a number of old cheques for small amounts from dividends which I haven't cashed (long, boring story).
    Typically each cheque would be for a relatively small amount i.e. less than €20.

Since they're older than 6 months I assumed they were no longer cashable but this link suggests that, in the UK at least, cheques are valid for up to 6 years.

Does anyone know what the situation is in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm not sure about the six year thing, I always heard it was six months.

You can ask whoever wrote it to reissue it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's normally 6 months from what I recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

yep that's correct, don't remember the reason, but I was told in a BoI branch it was 6 months in /Ireland/ (i.e. it's not just BoI that does this) from the date shown on the cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Bills of Exchange Act (as amended) requires the bank to pay it at it's premises for a reasonable period (which according to banking practice in ireland is six months). After this time they may pay it but are not obliged to.

The payee of the cheque however can sue on foot of it as a simple contract for up to six years against the payor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

gabhain7 wrote: »
    Bills of Exchange Act (as amended) requires the bank to pay it at it's premises for a reasonable period (which according to banking practice in ireland is six months). After this time they may pay it but are not obliged to.

The payee of the cheque however can sue on foot of it as a simple contract for up to six years against the payor.

Or, in simple English::D If the cheque has expired (6 months, longer at the bank's discretion), the person who wrote you the cheque must write you another one or pay you via different means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Usually on dividend cheques it will state how many months the cheque has to be lodged by. Simply write to the registrars of company enclosing the cheque and they will reissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

broker2008 wrote: »
    Usually on dividend cheques it will state how many months the cheque has to be lodged by. Simply write to the registrars of company enclosing the cheque and they will reissue.

Yes, but some of these firms actually charge a fee for re-issuing or re-dating a cheque.

In the case of a small dividend the re-issue fee may exceed the amount of the cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well they have a debt that they must pay, and technically the only thing the OP has to accept in payment is cash.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,912 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most dividend issuers will either re-date the cheques, or reissue them. I've done this before and have never been charged. Most banks will not take them after 6 months have passed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

6 Months for AIB as I discovered when I paid in some Revenue cheques.

They happily accepted them , sent them to my Branch who sent them back to me along with a hefty debit.

When I protested that if the professional in the accepting branch didn't know the rules how was I a mere mortal non-banker supposed to know , a refund was issued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i gave my niece (aged 15) a cheque for €50 at christmas, and she hasnt cashed it yet. she has the same first name as her mother so the mother could lodge itto her own bank account (afaik the kid doesnt have her own account). if someone gave me a cheque for 50 quid when i was fifteen id have cashed it fairly pronto. those celtic tiger kids have it too good !

Advertisement