Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem in dreamweaver

Options
  • 22-07-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

So i decided to make a website to use a portfolio with my pictures and stuff thats been used commercially. I have the basic knowledge on how to desgin pages in photoshop and bring them over into dreamweaver. The problem lies when I go to set a link from the 1st page to another page white lines come up all over the page and stay there when I preview it in a browser. Im sure its something small im doing wrong! I have got it right once while messing around but I cant remember what I did it just worked when I link the page..

Heres a ss

dreamweaverproblem.jpg

EDIT: Oh I think I got it! I have to change the border option in properties there was nothing there before and the lines came up, now I put in 0 and they go away :P

If someone could confirm this is the problem would be great!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

This looks uncannily like table-lead design, ie, using <table> tags for layout. I would recommend against this, if you're serious about creating a rich user centric website, investigate CSS layouts.

There's a wealth of resources on the interweb about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

+ 1 on the CSS.

The only way to go... Instead of constantly setting styles, like link colors borderless tables/images whatever do it all in a linked css file. Much easier to control and great flexibility.

I see from the ss that your using firefox. Don't forget to test it out in IE as majority of users are still on IE (for whatever reason?!!? :confused:). IE and Firefox have different interpretations of websites. I've often had to create a seperate css file for IE users, common practive these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, the border thing was the problem.

If you leave the border property out for images, it's normally not a problem, but if you subsequently wrap <a> tags around the image, most browsers will stick a border in to indicate that it's a link.

Best to always use border="0" for your images (unless you want one).

As said above, have a look at CSS for your layout. Though seeing as you're using photoshop to chop it up and dreamweaver to edit it, I'd imagine you're doing it all in the GUI and not looking at the raw code?

Advertisement