Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Casualties

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Following on from the old school Carlow shops thread, it might be worth highlighting the soon to be/recent casualties.

I pass by Brooks every morning and the yard is now empty but for the steel frames. Ive heard Doyles are down to minimum staff/hours.

What other businesses have closed recently/are struggling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

i was actually talking to a guy who used to work in brook's today and yeah they are closed down. Apparently most of em got decent redundancy and he didn't seem to bothered.

A lot of local transport businesses have been hit what with the soaring fuel cost and building decline. Without naming names there was one company that let go of fifty drivers.

I think it's fair to say that the quarries must be feeling the pinch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Quarries always relied on seasonal workers before the celtic tiger took off so they are just settling back down to levels they can afford when work becomes scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

i hear woodies have cut back on staff hours also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Doyles of the shamrock let staff go and also some other hardware/Building supply stores have moved their permanent staff onto 3 day weeks,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

Goodwins’ workers devastated at sudden closure - and no pay
    By: Mairead Wilmot

EMPLOYEES of a Tullow company have been left devastated after they were told last Wednesday not to come back to work.
    Over 40 jobs in Goodwins Timber Frame, Carlow Road, Tullow were cut after the company unexpectedly went into liquidation last week.

Employees received a double blow when they discovered their wages did not go into their back accounts on Friday.

“We are shocked on Wednesday when we were let go without warning,” said one employee. “And that turned to anger on Friday when there were no wages in our bank accounts. We just couldn’t believe it; we never thought for a second we’d have no wages.”

Employees at the company say they were “never given any real notice” but some were aware that the company was struggling.

“We were told that we might be put on unpaid leave but we were led to believe that we would be brought back in September if the market picked up but technically we thought we still had our jobs.”

Disgusted workers say they have had little or no contact with their former employers.

“It all happened so quickly. We were called in at about 3.10pm on Wednesday and by 3.45pm we were all out the door. We didn’t even have time to get our personal belongings. You know we almost got the feeling they were just going to lock the doors on Wednesday evening and not even bother telling us.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Holy crap. Should I come back at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

no, you should find a job out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yes find a job and send home your pay every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Wages here are abismal at best! Oz might be good but it doesn't really appeal all that much.

Advertisement