Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Chief called apartments unsafe

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

This morning we got a bit of a fright in our block, fire alarm went off and the halls were filled with black smoke, so naturally enough we called the fire brigade straight away.

Anyway, turns out that workers were doing something in the lift shaft with what looked like bitumen/tar and setting it alight (I don't know the ins and outs of it so I can't say why) without a fire extinguisher so naturally, the Fire Chief wasn't happy.

He then examined the building and told me that the building that I was living in was unsafe and that he would be writing a report to the fire warden and fire investigator (forget the exact term, I was in a bit of a daze) and that it would be far from complimentary. Some of the points he highlighted were no fire escape, only one way in or out of the building. Faulty fire alarm, four floors were filled with smoke and only one detector set off. Broken fire doors, etc. In other words, deathtrap.

Now, I'm incredibly paranoid on two fronts. 1, my flat is unsafe and if there were ever a real fire we could be in serious danger so I'm tempted to leave. 2, can the building be closed down because of this report by the fire chief and subsequent investigation and if it can, what kind of notice will we get to find somewhere new?

Anyone have any idea's? Kinda lost at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

oriain wrote: »
    Hi all,

This morning we got a bit of a fright in our block, fire alarm went off and the halls were filled with black smoke, so naturally enough we called the fire brigade straight away.

Anyway, turns out that workers were doing something in the lift shaft with what looked like bitumen/tar and setting it alight (I don't know the ins and outs of it so I can't say why) without a fire extinguisher so naturally, the Fire Chief wasn't happy.

He then examined the building and told me that the building that I was living in was unsafe and that he would be writing a report to the fire warden and fire investigator (forget the exact term, I was in a bit of a daze) and that it would be far from complimentary. Some of the points he highlighted were no fire escape, only one way in or out of the building. Faulty fire alarm, four floors were filled with smoke and only one detector set off. Broken fire doors, etc. In other words, deathtrap.

Now, I'm incredibly paranoid on two fronts. 1, my flat is unsafe and if there were ever a real fire we could be in serious danger so I'm tempted to leave. 2, can the building be closed down because of this report by the fire chief and subsequent investigation and if it can, what kind of notice will we get to find somewhere new?

Anyone have any idea's? Kinda lost at the moment.

Believe it or not, this is the situation with most apartment blocks that I've encountered. Many tenants/owner occuppiers don't realise that messing with detector heads insdie their apartments will cause faults on the building's system. Apart from this type of 'innocent' fiddling with equipment, you would regularly see alarm panels, fire doors and extinguishers vandalised.

Point being its nearly impossible to keep a fire alarm system at 100%, unless every tenant and owner takes direct responsibility for his/her own units, and of course unless you can remove all scum from the area.

I've never known a building to be shut down due to fire safety issues. The fire chief will probably set out a few recommendations to be completed within a certain time frame.

I'd suggest immediately getting onto your managing agent, and asking for a time frame for these works to be completed. If you can join a residents committee or something similar then do so, as you will then be able to apply pressure on the MA, or the builder if they are still responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

oriain wrote: »
    He then examined the building and told me that the building that I was living in was unsafe and that he would be writing a report to the fire warden and fire investigator (forget the exact term, I was in a bit of a daze) and that it would be far from complimentary.

That's quite worrying. I believe the fire bridgade have the power to order the closure of a building. I'm not sure if it's ever been used and I don't know the details. How old is your apartment block?
    Some of the points he highlighted were no fire escape, only one way in or out of the building. Faulty fire alarm, four floors were filled with smoke and only one detector set off. Broken fire doors, etc. In other words, deathtrap.

Funny that he cited only one way in or out. Unless it's a large apartment block, most only have one stairwell which doubles up as the fire escape.

Get in touch with your managing agent and management company immediately. Have them hire a fire service company for an immediate inspection and repair. They can normally get the detectors and units repaired on the spot and carry spares with them for common components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is it a new place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One stairs is probably OK up to three storeys and 6-9 apartments. After that a second stairs would be required. Lobbies are needed between apartments and stairs (corridors normally do this).

I'd seriously consider looking for somewhere unless the management seriously improve things in the next week.

Report the lift guys to the HSA. www.hsa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

Hey guys,

Thanks for the messages. The block is new-ish, think it was built in the late 80's/early 90's (before tiny apartments became fashionable). But it's got four storeys and about 25 apartments in it.

I've heard from my landlord that there's a fair bit of drama going on with the management company. Kind of surprised the fire brigade got back to them so quickly but it's all good. Looks like we're getting new fire alarms (who'd have thought a working fire alarm would be a luxury!) and the lift guys are coming back to fix it next week. Here's hoping they bring the proper gear this time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement