Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyors

Options
  • 22-07-2008 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

We have just went sale agreed on a new build detached house and a few people have recommenced that we get a surveyor to do a complete check of the house.
    But a few things have been confusing me, i've read a few comments on here that a new build doesn't require a surveyor? is it not better to cover yourself when spending so much?
    Also
    I went onto the Society of Chartered Surveyors website, but it only lists one for Donegal, but people have given me names of people that do surveyors reports on houses. If they are not registered with the SoCS, would they still be legitimate.
    Finally,
    Whats the difference between a surveyor and an engineer?
    although surveyor is the term i'm used to, is it actually an engineer that i need?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A surveyor is a specific type of engineer. A structural engineer should be able to do equally as reasonable a job as a SOCS registered surveyor- but obviously will not necessarily adhere to whatever the standards are that a SOCS member would have to.

The reason most people don't get a new build surveyed- is it normally takes some time for structural problems to become apparent. Settling and/or subsidence can take years. Your new home it is presumed will come covered by Homebond for the first 10 years- which would hopefully take care of any unforeseen events that may arise.

It might be a good idea to get an energy rating done on the house and have additional insulation installed at this stage based on the results of the survey. Its far easier to do it now- before you move in, than it will be to do it in the future- and all properties from next January will require one anyway.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

if you want a surveyor who is in the SCS then Apex Surveys Ltd based in Dunboyne will do building surveys
    http://www.apexsurveys.ie/

or there is a building survey company based in navan PAT McGOVERN & ASSOC Flower Hill Navan Co. Meath Co. Meath
    (046)9077770

There are only 12 surveyors in ireland who have the full SCS membership 3 lecture in dublin, one works in the Ordnance Survey, 2 work for esbi. i'm not sure where the rest are and one owns Apex Surveys.

Thats all i can offer hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

3 lecture
    What is this?

Senna, what you need is someone with broad experience in the construction industry to provide you with an assurance that that at least the obvious things (may not be obvious to you) are picked up. Its well worth a few hundred euros.

Surveyors are surveyors - they are not engineers. Details of the different types are included here: http://www.scs.ie/careers/

There are more that one thousand members of the SCS. These members can be Fellows or Associates - all are "full" members. You can see members here: http://www.scs.ie/surveyors/
    There are only 12 surveyors in ireland who have the full SCS membership 3 lecture in dublin, one works in the Ordnance Survey, 2 work for esbi. i'm not sure where the rest are and one owns Apex Surveys.
    Ah, sorry I see what you mean - that 3 of them lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

thanks Victor,
    yeah looks like i've found someone, he lectures in construction and does house inspections (?) too.

On a related point, the builder of the house is not registered with home-bond but the estate agent says there's a 6 year build insurance. I've asked for more information on this, but in the mean time, what is this, is it similar to the home-bond guarantee?

• Advertisement

Indeed its a good question - there is another company that provides something like Homebond, but I'm not sure if thats what the estate agent means.

In any case, a builder is responsible for the work he does. While a contract will limit patent (obvious) defects to 1-2 years (defects liability period), they are liable for much longer for latent (hidden defects or defects that haven't happened yet).

Doing a snag list is part of dealing with the patent defects - it sets a marker that, say, the kitchen door isn't closing fully. If you didn't raise this within the defects liability period, then you would never be able to raise it later. However, if the builder botched the foundations and they settle and block a drain 3 years down the line, then the builder has a responsibility to fix it as a latent defect.

Typically, if a contract is only signed, then the builder is liable for 6 years, if it is sealed (e.g. with the compnay seal) then 12 years. Cheack this all out with your solicitor as contracts do vary.

Advertisement