Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning tree cuttings.

Options
  • 21-07-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, is it illegal to burn tree cuttings in your backyard?
    I am cutting a few feet off tall trees in my garden and will need 2 a skip to get rid of it all. Is burning waste timber exempt or something. I thought I read before that it was ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Burning organic waste is not technically illegal but if you have two skiploads of green tree branches to burn you will be making some serious amounts of noxious smoke and the council may take an interest in your activities;)
    It all comes down to fair use, a garden bonfire where you are burning for a couple of minutes will probably cause no harm, two skiploads will take a loooong time to dispose of and cause a lot more nuisance/harm to neighbours especially if they have breathing difficulties/asthma etc.
    If you hire a garden mulcher you could probably make the two skiploads into a small amount of mulch for your garden to improve the soil or take it to the councils green waste depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommo22

CJhaughey wrote: »
    or take it to the councils green waste depot.

Is this free?....

tommo22 wrote: »
    Is this free?....

I assume that you are in Ireland? Check your local council website, Ireland is bizarre in that different local authorities have different policies and prices even within the same area.
    Some places have a disposal area, some don't, some charge, some don't.
    Clear as mud really!
    Mulched trees break down fast, adding nitrogen speeds the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you can leave them for a few weeks to dry out they won't make so much smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Not allowed to burn anything in the garden in mayo............

• Advertisement

Tommo22
    Over in this thread you are looking for mulch ideas for your bed.
    Why don't you just use the tree branch mulch to cover the bed?
    Kill two birds with one stone?

Advertisement