Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Card Readers

Options
  • 21-07-2008 6:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed for the first time people using them.

When were cards issued for this and does any one know what time of card is used

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I use my annual bus ticket on it.
    They seem to have adjusted the sensitivity of them recently as they almost always pick up the card now. When they first started it was a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

kearnsr wrote: »
    Just noticed for the first time people using them.

When were cards issued for this and does any one know what time of card is used

As stated earlier on this board, all Dublin Bus issued annual and monthly tickets now contain chips and should be validated by holding them up to the smartcard reader rather than through the validator.

It is expected that the rambler range of tickets will be next to include the chips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Would my annual bus and rail ticket work? I got it May I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

kearnsr wrote: »
    Would my annual bus and rail ticket work? I got it May I think

It should do. I got mine in March and it has the chip contained. If you hold it up to the light, you will see a magnetic strip running around the card.

Provided the ticket is one issued by Dublin Bus (as opposed to a ticket issued by Irish Rail - they're the ones with your photo embedded), then it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Any idea when we'll get LUAS-style stored-value cards?
    I don't care about the 1.05 or 1.50 fares, just make it work like the Travel90, and if i really need to pay less, i'll bring cash :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KC61 wrote: »
    Provided the ticket is one issued by Dublin Bus (as opposed to a ticket issued by Irish Rail - they're the ones with your photo embedded), then it should work.

It would appear mine has been issued by Irish Rail.

I was gona test it out yesterday but didnt want to look like a tool in case it didnt work

Igy wrote: »
    Any idea when we'll get LUAS-style stored-value cards?
    I don't care about the 1.05 or 1.50 fares, just make it work like the Travel90, and if i really need to pay less, i'll bring cash :)

That's a bit further down the line.

At the moment DB is introducing this on a phased basis:
    1) Annual passes
    2) Monthly passes
    3) Rambler range

I'd imagine that the Travel 90 will be included in phase 3.

The stored value tickets is a different kettle of fish - it would require tickets to tag on and off, unless the whole fare structure is revised to a flat fare structure - and that is a political decision. Tagging on and off would be exceptionally cumbersome on buses so I wouldn't hold my breath for stored value cards to come in for a while yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

KC61 wrote: »

The stored value tickets is a different kettle of fish - it would require tickets to tag on and off, unless the whole fare structure is revised to a flat fare structure - and that is a political decision. Tagging on and off would be exceptionally cumbersome on buses so I wouldn't hold my breath for stored value cards to come in for a while yet.

You could just stick a smart card reader at the bus stop, I dont see how it would be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The quickest way to establish the "Smartness" of one`s card is to look and see if theres a small Bullseye symbol printed on the front face.

If there is you are clear to rock n roll :)
    Be warned however,if you have a LUAS smartcard in the same wallet NEITHER of them will work unless presented individually to their respective readers,so ignore any of the PR guff about not having to remove the card from your wallet...this facility only exists IF one public transport Smart Card alone is contained in it.:mad:

The best Bullseye (Now there`s a prospective Name for the System) ticket IMO is the value pack Travel90 which IS curently available.
    The current "pack" of 10 is now stored on a single Bullseye`d card and just used repeatedly until the 10 journeys expire.

However and as pointed out by KC61 and others,the potential for HUGE time,cost and flexibility benefits are being ignored due to the Department of Transport`s absolute refusal to sanction the introduction of a Flat Fare regieme on Bus Atha Cliath`s network.

It is infuriating to see the potential of the new system restricted to such an extent by senior Departmental Officials whose view of Dublins Public Transport requirements appears to be based upon the Horse Drawn Double Deck Tour of Dublin clip-clopping past the Secretary Generals Office each day :(

Helimachoptor`s suggestion re installing the SCR equipment at stops could and should be considered IF the Department will not sanction a flat fare or discounted option.
    Once again however,the restrictions on progress are very firmly embedded in Kildare St :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

You could just stick a smart card reader at the bus stop, I dont see how it would be so bad.

Eh, at every bus stop in Dublin and its environs?????

That would be an astronomical cost and the potential for vandalism massive.

No, I think a bullet is going to have to be swallowed on this one - flat fares would be the logical progression....but I'm not sure that penny has dropped in the DoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The best Bullseye (Now there`s a prospective Name for the System) ticket IMO is the value pack Travel90 which IS curently available.
    The current "pack" of 10 is now stored on a single Bullseye`d card and just used repeatedly until the 10 journeys expire.

I'm currently using travel 90 mag tickets - I haven't seen the smart version of them - where are they to be had? Also what happens if there is a problem reading those - will the driver try to write an expiry on the ticket?

Also I'm getting an annual card, does this have to be presented face up to the reader or will the reader simply read even the little card wallet when closed as I understand that most passive RFID cards have a range of 4-5cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Also what happens if there is a problem reading those - will the driver try to write an expiry on the ticket?

Usually the only reason that mag strip cards don't work is because of a manual failure of the card reader due to it's physical nature. This won't be a problem with the new 'swipe' type card reader I'd say.
    Also I'm getting an annual card, does this have to be presented face up to the reader or will the reader simply read even the little card wallet when closed as I understand that most passive RFID cards have a range of 4-5cm.

It doesn't have to be presented in any special way. Just place your wallet up to the reader and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

As well as the Rambler range, the student 7 day & 3 day Freedom ticket are to go Smart Card also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We really, really need a flat fare. If you think about it the Travel90 are almost a flat fare as it is, basically €1.70 for however far your going, a real flat fare is barely an extra step from this.

It should be something like €1 to €1.50 flat fare with the Smart Card, €3 flat fare for cash.

Given how dependent we are on the bus, it is crazy that it is taking so long to do this. It will make drivers much safer (carry little cash) and will greatly reduce dwell times.

This sort of inefficiency makes me so mad, I just can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've just got a new annual card starting from August. They seem to issue these in the last ten days of the previous month. I wonder will they only work from the begining of the coming month or are they immediately effective?

Won't work until 1st August.

bk wrote: »
    We really, really need a flat fare. If you think about it the Travel90 are almost a flat fare as it is, basically €1.70 for however far your going, a real flat fare is barely an extra step from this.

It should be something like €1 to €1.50 flat fare with the Smart Card, €3 flat fare for cash.

Given how dependent we are on the bus, it is crazy that it is taking so long to do this. It will make drivers much safer (carry little cash) and will greatly reduce dwell times.

This sort of inefficiency makes me so mad, I just can't understand it.

Have to agree 100%. I can't get over the amount of people I see on the same bus every morning that choose to pay cash rather than buy some sort of travel card (it's either ignorance of what's available or laziness on their part). They are always scrabbling for change too which just makes the dwell time longer!

A €3 flat fare would encourage them to change over to a smart card quickly enough.

Advertisement