Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Come Back to me when its looser' - Should I change Dentist?

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a history of dental issues. I am missing 7 adult teeth (I just never had them) and at 23 this results in having a small baby tooth at the 4th position from the front top which affects my smile.

My worries about my current dentist stated when I broke my two front teeth and had them crowned. The whole process took 6 months. I had root canl and the teeth were crowned. Is this a normal time span for such treatment? Also, the teeth were far bigger than my natural teeth (it looked like i had chic lits, remember Mr. Wilson in Denis the menace) and the colour was a much lighter shade of white. I remained loyal to the dentist because he was the only one available at the time to do the emergency root canal (before my teeth came out of shock where I would have started to alot of fill pain)

I later (4 months after getting the teeth capped!!) got a knock in one of the newly crownd teeth. The root was smashed, and it was removed. The dentist recommed that the other crown be taken off too adn that I have a bridge put in. This took another 4 months to get done. At one stage a bridge arrived and and he changed his mond about the design. Something to do with how the bridege would push up against my gum. I couldnt belive that a dentist that does this for a living changed his mind after the initial bridge was made and delivered. So I had to wait for another one to be made and delivered.

Now the bridge is lose and I went in to get it fixed and I was told to come back when its looser!! Im a considering getting an implant to replace the bridge adn alos to replace the baby tooth i ahve and get a nice smile. The dentist said implants are too messy and he doesnt recommened them

I have 2 questions,

Is this normal behaviour for a dentist?

Where shoud I go to get proper advice for a dental plan to restore my smile?

I mean this day and age it is completely crazy to get this kind of treatment when you are paying thousands of euro. Obviously just because you pay alot doesnt garuntee you get a quality service.

Help anyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 limerick dentis

I would recommend you seek a second opinion. Certainly looking for advice from another member of the public on a forum is not the way to go. If you have any reservations at all you are quite entitled to seek another opinion by a dental profession. I would write down all your concerns so you remember to ask everything you need to know. A good dentist will discuss all your options and explain everything well to you. the decision on how you then proceed with treatment is up to you. It is understandable you feel a loyalty to your dentist who was there for you in your time of need, but if you have reservations AT ALL get a second opinion for goodness sakes.
    Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You'll never find a dentist willing to criticise another.I went for a scale and polish several years ago and was told i needed three "large" fillings in my upper molars to stop them going rotten.I didnt quite trust the dentist so i went to somebody else six months later..guess what?Nothing wrong with any of them,even when he took x-rays.Get a second(or third) opinion.

Advertisement