Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian article on The Wire

Options
  • 21-07-2008 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Is this the best TV series ever made?

It started as a cop show about drug gangs in Baltimore, and grew into an epic, shifting portrait of a city in the grip of poverty and crisis. But The Wire - now in its final season and acclaimed as the most accomplished TV series ever - is not the work of regular screen writers but an ex-journalist, an ex-detective and an elite team of novelists. We asked our own panel of crime writers to explain its appeal.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/20/television.irvinewelsh

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Full of effusive praise as ever (the show has been getting great laudits from the British press). I particularly like Irvine Welsh's response to the quality of British TV next to this show:
    It makes just about all of the writing on British TV look absolutely sh1t. It maddens me that BBC or ITV put out crap after crap after crap and they don't pick up something like this. We don't know what to do with quality. We wouldn't recognise it if it bit us in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

ixoy wrote: »
    Full of effusive praise as ever (the show has been getting great laudits from the British press).
    The Guardian has become the shows biggest cheerleader this side of the Atlantic.

Another bit on The Wire missing out on Emmy nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I can't believe it's never been nominated for best drama, that's a disgrace. Ok in fairness Season 5 wasn't the best season, but its still miles better than anything else that I've seen.

The following comment did make me lol though.
    Well I agree but let's face it, the fact it doesn't get nominated and is ignored in the mainstream is what makes us all feel a little smug about liking it so much.... I don't think I want to hear the girls I work with talking about how cute Stringer Bell is at their morning coffee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ixoy wrote: »
    Full of effusive praise as ever (the show has been getting great laudits from the British press). I particularly like Irvine Welsh's response to the quality of British TV next to this show:

I think the Wire would be great on BBC2. No adds and it would fit in with what the BBC showed in the past before main stream got a hold of it like 24 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Guardian have run about a dozen Wire blogs in the last year, its getting embarrassing!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Probably the reason the BBC don't pick it up is because it will make everything else look like shit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sherifu wrote: »
    Probably the reason the BBC don't pick it up is because it will make everything else look like shit.

But if its gona be that good surely it would be good for ratings? BBC 2 does alot of cult stuff like this before it becomes main stream. I would have thought they would have snapped it up a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It'd be sweet to see it on tv with no ads. I hope they realise their mistake and pick it up in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Wreck wrote: »
    I can't believe it's never been nominated for best drama, that's a disgrace.

As Harvey Keitel once said of Martin Scorcese when he had been passed over yet again* for a best director oscar; "He got what he deserved, exclusion from the ranks of the mediocre."

I think the same maxim is entirely appropriate in this case.

*This happened when 'Dances With Wolves' won it for Kevin Costner over Scorcese's masterpiece 'Goodfellas'. Need I say more?

Advertisement