Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad

Options
  • 19-07-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭

Don't know where else to post this so mods feel free to move if it's in the wrong place.

I'm just after finishing my first year of college but I'm on a bit of a downer at the mo. Basically, I'm fed up with my current situation and I'm sick of living in Ireland. My long-term plan is to leave Ireland but right now I think I could do with a break.

I'd like to go for a small break of maybe a year or just a few months, preferrably somewhere English- or Spanish-speaking. I'm thinking about taking a year out from college and going back in September 2009.

I'd like any to hear any advice that can be offered like where to go, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Go for it :)

Australia/US are popular Irish destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Life is to be lived, go for it and have a blast. I'll be doing the same in three years time after college. =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Australia = 1 year working visa

You can only work in each job for 3 months max

If you work for ~3 months picking fruit, you can get an extra year added to your visa

I believe they're now introducing a similar scheme with certain trades

Go for it

It's what I shall be doing in about 2 years' time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Dave! wrote: »
    Australia = 1 year working visa

You can only work in each job for 3 months max

If you work for ~3 months picking fruit, you can get an extra year added to your visa

I believe they're now introducing a similar scheme with certain trades

Go for it

It's what I shall be doing in about 2 years' time :)

it's actually changed to 6 months in any one job so it makes it easier to get a meaningful job..

Ah, sweet. I did think it would be a bit difficult to get something if they know you'll only be there for 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

one argument ive heard for NOT going to australia is: why go to the other side of the world, and basically experience the same culture as here, and you'll more than likely meet joe from up the road over there as well.
    that said, not everyone has a second language, so oz is handy lingo wise, plus the jobs seem to be there.
    you seem to have spanish, and ive heard buenos aires is supposed to be good. mate lived there for 6 months, and recommends it.
    i know that's where I'd probably head.
    I've been to oz, and it's a great place. suppose it depends on whether you want to make some good money or not...

im in 2 minds on whether to sample oz again, or exploit my French, Italian and limited Spanish. However, I'm at an age and situation where I need to choose wisely...

best of luck with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ah, sweet. I did think it would be a bit difficult to get something if they know you'll only be there for 3 months.

In NZ there is no limit on the length of time you spend working in one place. You just can't take permanent employment while on your WHV but you can work in one place for the year if you are on a contract.

Could be worth a look as well!

watna wrote: »
    In NZ there is no limit on the length of time you spend working in one place. You just can't take permanent employment while on your WHV but you can work in one place for the year if you are on a contract.

Could be worth a look as well!

Yea but you'll freeze yr ass off in NZ in winter..!:p

Huh, didn't realise NZ did a work visa!

Are there any other English speaking countries that do work visas? Not ones for students, etc., as I will be finished uni by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

dont Canada do one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ibh wrote: »

Good point! :) General warning to people thinking of moving to NZ. They don't have central heating here but it's as cold as at home.
    Huh, didn't realise NZ did a work visa!

Are there any other English speaking countries that do work visas? Not ones for students, etc., as I will be finished uni by then.

Well, it's a working holiday visa. The same as the one for OZ. You have to be under 30 and em.. be of good character I think are the rules! You can apply online at the NZ immigration site. It costs €60 and mine took three days to come through. You get an e-visa you produce at passport control when you get to NZ so you don't have so send your passport in to any embassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ibh wrote: »
    and in sydney/melbourne too

hussey wrote: »
    and in sydney/melbourne too

I'd hardley call 10degs (give or take) in winter freezing..

Was in New Zealand in November and i had to buy a wolly hat as soon as i hit the South Island. I had just flown from Sydney and most my gear consisted of Boardies and vests!!

Canada also have a working Visa but it can be quite hard to obtain. And they can leave it very late to inform you!! I got one at a very late stage. Probably from someone pulling out.
    It is often used by people moving to Canada full time as an alternative to the expensive and slow Skilled Visa.

OP, you should go for Argentina imo. Somewhere different with great character..

Huh, it seems you need to already have a job offer to get into Canadia!

Huh, it seems you need to already have a job offer to get into Canadia!

Haven't time to look up the Visa but i'm pretty sure thats not the case. There is a 1 year working visa although limited places are available for it.

If you go out on this you can arrange residency and stay longer.

The migrant Visa is more long term but the waiting length is reportedly very long. It's also pretty expensive iirc.

There is a 'Moving to Canada' thread round here somwhere and it has loads of info..

Cheers

I actually have relatives in Canada, maybe that would benefit me also!

Bloody hell I'll never go home! Australia for a year, extend my visa for another year, NZ for a year, Canada for a year :D

Advertisement