Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help/advice appreciated

Options
  • 19-07-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hi everyone

some of you may remember a post of mine from a few weeks ago about the fact that my partner was having to pay for the diesel in his company van.

he has a take home pay of 500 euro a week and has to use 110 of it a week to fill the tank.his work partner also pays the same amount into the same van. we have only 390 euro a week left to pay rent bills shopping and support two kids.

he cant approach the boss about it as she has let other men go before when they tried to stand up for themselves claiming their work is not up to standard.My partner is afraid he will get fired and then we will have no money at all.

i have contacted various employment rights agencies for advice but they said that since he was on price work there was nothing they could do about it.i am so fustrated and angry i feel like no one can help us.

i am seriously considering ringing gerry ryan on monday i dont know what else to do

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

lexi-lexi wrote: »
    hi everyone

some of you may remember a post of mine from a few weeks ago about the fact that my partner was having to pay for the diesel in his company van.

he has a take home pay of 500 euro a week and has to use 110 of it a week to fill the tank.his work partner also pays the same amount into the same van. we have only 390 euro a week left to pay rent bills shopping and support two kids.

he cant approach the boss about it as she has let other men go before when they tried to stand up for themselves claiming their work is not up to standard.My partner is afraid he will get fired and then we will have no money at all.

i have contacted various employment rights agencies for advice but they said that since he was on price work there was nothing they could do about it.i am so fustrated and angry i feel like no one can help us.

i am seriously considering ringing gerry ryan on monday i dont know what else to do

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Gerry Ryans the man to sort this out.

The company van is used for work only or does he use it for recreational use, is he basically paying for fuel when he uses it or also when he is working and does he get any fuel allowance at all?.If not then surely the company have to pay for the diesel. Also does he still have to pay income tax on top of this, is this some type of income tax savings for him and the company. Gerry will need the facts up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

what does his contract state?

sorry to say but it makes no sense at all based on what you have advised

is the company providing a van for free and he is self employed (or something similar to the way some taxi drivers share a communal car? - they have to pay their own fuel..etc)

if that is the case then it might be a condition of emloyment - if possible can you advise what job it is?

don;t mean to sound negative but if the experts have advised you nothing can be done it sounds as if everything is above board - and the only solution would be to get a different job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

If he is on price work, then surely he is self-employed (a sub contractor) and employment law does not come into it.

You do know that the diesel is then an allowable expense against tax?

220e a week on diesel is crazy (unless he is a taxi /delivery driver)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Why doesn't he get a job elsewhere? If the problem is "he has no skills" could he start an evening course or something like that?

In my experience the key to not getting treated badly is to have valuable skills. It would make sense that he invests in himself to put himself in a better position.

Advertisement