Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal to expand this forum.

Options
  • 19-07-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭

So pretty much everyone on this forum has an interest in wars other than WW2. There's currently a call for a cold war forum. I don't think it will have much traffic so how about renaming this forum 20th century warfare?
    This would cover a whole host of other wars that just won't generate enough interest to merit their own forum yet. Current affairs would still be in the main forum.If the forum got too big we could always split it, but I doubt it would be a problem.
    A few extra moderators, perhaps, but nothing unmanageable.

What think 'ye?

Motion: WW2 forum becomes 20th Century Warfare forum. 5 votes

Yea
    0% 0 votes
    Neigh
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

My vote is no, WWII is unique enough to merit its own distinct sub-forum in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No - and I think that there should be a Cold War Forum. If there was an "American inspired wars of the 20th Century" forum, that would cover about 90%+ of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I like the idea, but you would need some pretty strong rules in place to stop it becoming the politics of war forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

No. Once you start bringing in other wars you dilute the quality and strength of the forum. Let them start up a post WW2 forum if they want to discuss other stuff. This isint the only forum site on the web, I'm sure there are plenty of places to discuss the cold war etc on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I would like to see at the very least an extension backwards to include WW1, the wars are linked and would bring some extra traffic here.
    I just don't think cold war will make it on its own.

• Advertisement

As I said previously, there are plenty of other forums for discussing all other wars. Yes they are linked but I dont think the battle of the Somme or Paschendale have any bearing on events that happened during WW2. I have no objection to people referencing WW1 in their threads, I have even gone back as far as the famine to make a point but this is a WW2 forum, it is our WW2 forum and I think you should leave it like that. It is nice to see new people post on this forum becuase you know they must have a keen interest in WW2 and you know their opinions are well researched or at least from the heart. If other people are brought in they will be posting and replying to threads that mean very little to them. I'm sure there would be sufficient support to start up a WW1 forum on this site. This forum is doing fine on its own, leave it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This forum is doing fine on its own, leave it that way.

Couldnt agree more.

You should be able to have a new forum for all those other conflicts but keep the WWII one as it is though.

This one is fine as is. Just the right level of traffic and informed opinion in my view.

I would hate to see threads about Kursk or Stalingrad, the Ardennes or Guadalcanal along side the usual trendy ill informed american bashing threads your bound to have if you were to open it up to Grenada or somalia or iraq/afghanistan or what ever else. I would vote for a new Modern warfare one - but theres no good reason to kill off the exsisting & successful wwII one in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

This debate was done in Forums when the WWII forum was proposed.

PErsonally, I'm happy with the forum as it is. I thought there'd be a lot of bile among people with different opinions but this is working pretty well.

If there is a demand for a seperate modern warfare/WWI/cold war thread or whatever then that's sound, but I'm thinking that this forum is ticking along quite nicely.
    This forum is doing fine on its own, leave it that way.

Aww, you guys:)

Morlar wrote: »
    usual trendy ill informed american bashing threads your bound to have if you were to open it up to Grenada or somalia or iraq/afghanistan or what ever else.

Enough of those threads everywhere else, the America/Islam bashing is best left to the thunderdome.
    Was jus throwing out an idea. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This debate was done in Forums when the WWII forum was proposed.

PErsonally, I'm happy with the forum as it is. I thought there'd be a lot of bile among people with different opinions but this is working pretty well.

If there is a demand for a modern warfare/WWI/cold war thread or whatever then that's sound, but I'm thinking that this forum is ticking along quite nicely.

Aww, you guys:)

Leave well enough alone.
    Why is there always this need to fiddle with things when they are working fine :mad:
    If this forum starts to encompass all of the 20th century, it will degenerate into a forum, populated by some of the usual suspects, full of Brit/US bashing threads in no time
    WWII was big and unique enough to allow for a thread on it's own and there appears to be enough members with plenty of interest and a scary amount of knowledge to keep it going as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If it ain't broke don't fix it would be the best way to summarise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I think maybe some kind of sub-forums system could work. I.E. XXcentury conflict, with a sub forums for WWII to start with and others to follow if there is a demand.

WWII generates just right amount of traffic imo, but others probably won't.

Plus WWII & Cold War are so connected that it would be good to have place to talk about both, without losing a forum focusing just on WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Keep it the way it is, although a Cold War forum might be interesting.

Ojewriej, if you are not happy with this forum please feel free to satisfy your needs elsewhere, there are unlimited choices of forum sites on the internet. Please leave this forum alone, we came here becuase it was a WW2 forum and that is why we stay here.
    Modern air travel is also directly linked with WW2 due to the invention of the jet engine but I dont want to talk about that, I'm sure there are plenty of inventions that are directly linked to ww2 that we could discuss but we dont want to, we want to talk about ww2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Ojewriej, if you are not happy with this forum please feel free to satisfy your needs elsewhere, there are unlimited choices of forum sites on the internet

No, I'm pretty happy here, thanks. And in the future, before you answer, why don't you read my post first - I said that I do think that WWII deserves it's own forum. But others could be linked to it somehow.

If you are happy with WWII forum only, good for you, but there are plenty of people with other interest too. I thought this thread is to discuss what would be the best way to include them, so no need to get defensive.

My motives behind this thread are to have forum space, on Boards.ie, where other wars can be discussed in the same manner as here. My fear, as Morlar put it, is that if the cold war forum goes ahead on its own it'll be heavily politicised.
    I like this forum, lets not fight amongst ourselves and focus on the real enemy; The Judean Peoples Front. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

yeah, we shouldn't be fighting here, this is the war room ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kowloon wrote: »
    My motives behind this thread are to have forum space, on Boards.ie, where other wars can be discussed in the same manner as here. My fear, as Morlar put it, is that if the cold war forum goes ahead on its own it'll be heavily politicised.
    I like this forum, lets not fight amongst ourselves and focus on the real enemy; The Judean Peoples Front. :pac:

Ahmmmmm, isn't that meant to read the Peoples Front of Judea :D

jmayo wrote: »
    Ahmmmmm, isn't that meant to read the Peoples Front of Judea :D

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

If one were to post about the causes of World War II I think it would be acceptable to post on events pre 1939. Or if someone was to reference the experience gained by the Condor Legion in the Spanish Civil War and the impact that had on German military planning I think that would be fine too.

I think this is a World War II forum in that it deals directly with events that occured during the war but is not afraid to allow people to reference other events. It acknowleges that this didn't happen in a vacuum and personally I think that's probably why I lurk here so much!!! :D

Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement