Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US DVD

Options
  • 19-07-2008 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭

(Apologies if this is in the wrong Forum - didn't really know where else to put it).

Apparantly this is common knowledge but I hadn't heard of it until yesterday :o:o.

I was in the US a few days ago. I bought a special edition box DVD about a subject that I'm particularly interested in. On the flight back, Mrs Wishbone Ash decides to tell me that the DVD probably won't work at home as the US use a different system. Of course i was wondering why she didn't say it to me when I was buying it! :rolleyes:

Anyway it doesn't work here. If I were to upgrade my DVD player, is it possible to get one which will play DVDs from any region and if so, are they prohibitively expensive?

What annoys me a bit is the place that I purchased the DVD is a very 'touristy' museum shop and I should think they should make it know that their DVDs won't work in some other countries. :(

Thanks for any information. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I might be possible to make your dvd player region free using a combination of key presses on the remote.

Check http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks and see if your player is listed.

Regarding a new dvd player....you normally find the cheapest ones are the ones that will play anything. The highend jobbies can be very picky.

Last resort you could copy the dics to dvdr and in the process remove the region code. Dead easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The_Edge wrote: »
    I might be possible to make your dvd player region free using a combination of key presses on the remote.

Check http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks and see if your player is listed.

Regarding a new dvd player....you normally find the cheapest ones are the ones that will play anything. The highend jobbies can be very picky.

Last resort you could copy the dics to dvdr and in the process remove the region code. Dead easy.
    Thanks for that The Edge! :)

Advertisement