Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Deposit

Options
  • 19-07-2008 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice here. I moved out of my old house at the end of May, and I still haven't received my €800 deposit back. I called the landlady numerous times, and eventually she told me to contact a new agency that she deals with.

They eventually got back to me last week and said that I was owed €600 (less cleaning expenses etc), and that he'd contact the landlady to send me a cheque. 2 weeks on and still nothing.

I dont really want any hassle, but I really want my deposit back. It's almost 2 months now! Anyways, I was thinking about texting my landlady and telling her that I will be taking the matter further if I dont get it by end of this week. I'm bricking it to ring her directly, cos I'm totally rubbish at confrontation-type situations.

Is this the right thing to do? Or should I be doing something else?

Any advice gratefully received!

:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Call around to her house and ask for your deposit. If she can't give it to you, tell her you'll be back tomorrow.

Nothing freaks people more than the feeling of being "unsafe" in their home. (Obviously, she is safe, as all you are doing is asking for your deposit, but she'll feel very unsettled.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

dublindude wrote: »
    Call around to her house and ask for your deposit. If she can't give it to you, tell her you'll be back tomorrow.

Nothing freaks people more than the feeling of being "unsafe" in their home. (Obviously, she is safe, as all you are doing is asking for your deposit, but she'll feel very unsettled.)

jaysus i'd say thats taking it a bit far... but i can see why it would work!

taking 200 for cleaning expenses? how badly did you leave the apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

cance wrote: »
    jaysus i'd say thats taking it a bit far... but i can see why it would work!

I agree, but she's clearly a ****, so she doesn't deserve politeness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP, contact this crowd:

http://www.prtb.ie/

You should have been returned your deposit months ago.
    Also id dispute the cleaning charge unless they provide a detailed break down of what was cleaned and how much it cost. (and of course you agree with the detail)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Thanks for the replies.

The house was left really clean, but the agency guy told me that the carpets had to be cleaned and that there was rubbish left in the bin (i think there might have been some paper waste in the bin), and that I left food in the fridge. (Definitely for this one, I only left a can of bud, cos i couldn't fit it into my already overloaded bag!)

My landlady lives in Dublin (i'm in Cork), so I'm planning a text that looks like this:

'Despite reassurance, I have still not received the balance of my deposit. Please can you ensure that this is resolved by Tuesday, 22nd July. Else I will be forced to take further action.'

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

smiler26 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

The house was left really clean, but the agency guy told me that the carpets had to be cleaned and that there was rubbish left in the bin (i think there might have been some paper waste in the bin), and that I left food in the fridge. (Definitely for this one, I only left a can of bud, cos i couldn't fit it into my already overloaded bag!)

Doesnt justify 200 yoyos i reckon. Also if the carpet was dirty, but was due to wear and tear, you are not liable in that instance.
    wrote:
    My landlady lives in Dublin (i'm in Cork), so I'm planning a text that looks like this:

'Despite reassurance, I have still not received the balance of my deposit. Please can you ensure that this is resolved by Tuesday, 22nd July. Else I will be forced to take further action.'

What do you guys think?

Yes sending a letter is a good idea. Give her 7 days in the letter. Quote in it that you will refer the matter to the Private Residential Tenancy Board if its not refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

dublindude wrote: »

This is exactly how I would play it. Good advice.

Actually it should never come to this. I always arrange to meet the landlord on the last day of my tenancy, have them look the house over and give them the keys once my deposit is returned. No deposit no keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

smiler26 wrote: »

What do you guys think?

Or maybe a registered letter...?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Whoever you dealt with when you rented the house
    and gave them the deposit,that is who you deal with now.
    If you dont you will be run around the place.
    Advice for the future(if you rent again)when you give your
    notice to leave,and the month is just up,make arrangements
    with the landlord or agency to view property,whatever they are not happy
    with you can discuss there and then,it also gives you the option
    to get it sorted your self.
    Dont leave it any longer ,you need to start making some calls
    i think they sqeezed enough out of you with 200.
    Dont forget its your money.:mad:

Advertisement