Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

msc quantitative finance at UCD

Options
  • 19-07-2008 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Dear all,
    I have admission in the Msc in Quant Finance course for the session starting sep this year.

I also have admission offer from Msc Finance course at TCD.

have few queries regarding the courses - I am a foreign student and will be coming to ireland for the first time this sep. Got attracted to Quant Finance course because I have an engineering background, with exp in IT but interest in Finance - want to make a shift to Finance post graduation and thought the course will allow me to leverae my present background and establish a continuity into Finance.

Wanted to get some opinions on the course.

how is the course regarded in ireland

what are the job prospects after the course if one has no prior exp in Finance

what are the job prospects for non europeans

what is the usual profile of students

will like to get in touch with some students

how does the quant finance course compare to the course at TCD (tho personally i don't prefer the tcd course cause it is new and also because the way the course is designed - teaching a complete module in intensive weekly sessions) -

will like to get some opinions

thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What sort of role in finance are you looking to pursue ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

It depends on what you wish to do as DY points out. QuantFin is a good area, but
    a) much of the real hard core quant issues are the domain of people with PhDs in compsci, math etc and or the wilmott CQF certification
    b) with little background in finance, jumping into a narrow area without a broader understanding of the business context and how area x fits with area y is, imho, suboptimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MASKMAN

Thanks Blucey !!
    I don't have formal background in Finance - but a good mathematical and programming background. Since I am interested in Finance and have been investing on my own, I thought pursuing a quantitative finance course will give me a good continuation as it will allow me to capitalize on my background too.

what is your opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

MASKMAN wrote: »
    Thanks Blucey !!
    I don't have formal background in Finance - but a good mathematical and programming background. Since I am interested in Finance and have been investing on my own, I thought pursuing a quantitative finance course will give me a good continuation as it will allow me to capitalize on my background too.

what is your opinion

My opinion is go general then specific.

Advertisement