Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

industrial economics, health economics,

Options
  • 18-07-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

hi there im due to be taken these modules this september, and i was wondering could anybody just tell me wat there about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Not every course is homogenous across all Universities. You'll want to email the module coordinator and ask them for a syllabus.

If you're looking for basic information on what health & industrial economics are then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_economics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_organization

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Industrial economics, in ucd anyway, was basically going into more indepth about competition between firms.

The majority of the course revolved around three game theory models (have you done game theory?) Bertrand competition, Cournot competition and Stackleberg Competition. They're not really that difficult, once you get your head around these you'll be flying.

Pretty nice/handy subject.

I didnt do health so can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

gerry87 wrote: »
    Industrial economics, in ucd anyway, was basically going into more indepth about competition between firms.

The majority of the course revolved around three game theory models (have you done game theory?) Bertrand competition, Cournot competition and Stackleberg Competition. They're not really that difficult, once you get your head around these you'll be flying.

Pretty nice/handy subject.

I didnt do health so can't help you there.

i just finished first year so we havent came across game theory yet. ive heard of it but couldnt tell ya a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

regob wrote: »
    i just finished first year so we havent came across game theory yet. ive heard of it but couldnt tell ya a thing about it.

Game theory becomes a major part of the micro course in UCD (or at least it did in my time :o ) and although I did not do Industrial eco my friends that did told me it was very similar to micro in that respect. They said it was fairly easy (mainly due to the overlap with micro, which of course is mandatory)

As for health economics, I did do this and found it very interesting and fairly easy. From what I can recall (Im guessing David Madden is still the lecturer for health) most of it was down to elements of the insurance industry...moral hazard, risk aversion etc. there is a project also that counts for about 20% of the overall mark (once again there was one anyway, in my day) which is very easy to get full marks in if you put in the dog work and know your way around excel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

The OP doesn't read economics at UCD.

• Advertisement

im not a economics student in ucd, i study economics in the university of ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

im not a economics student in ucd, i study economics in the university of ulster.

O.K. sorry about that. But I would assume that the course content is broadly similar across different universities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

hi there im due to be taken these modules this september, and i was wondering could anybody just tell me wat there about.

I took a health econ course as part of my MA in Econ.

If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to familiarise yourself with how healthcare is provided in different countries, particularly the US. At the start I seemed to be bombarded with acronyms and I didn't know the difference between my HMOs and OBGYNs. It really hindered my progress. However as the course went on I really got into it and it became second nature to me. Paying attention to healthcare issues in the news should provide you with a decent grounding.

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    I took a health econ course as part of my MA in Econ.

If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to familiarise yourself with how healthcare is provided in different countries, particularly the US. At the start I seemed to be bombarded with acronyms and I didn't know the difference between my HMOs and OBGYNs. It really hindered my progress. However as the course went on I really got into it and it became second nature to me. Paying attention to healthcare issues in the news should provide you with a decent grounding.

thanks very much al, thats really helpful, did ya find it to be enjoyable/interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

thanks very much al, thats really helpful, did ya find it to be enjoyable/interesting?

Once I got to grips with it - yes definitely. Alongside development economics it was the most enjoyable area of study I did. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

In fact it got to the stage where my friend and I would chat about health econ on nites out and stuff!:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement