Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Coaxial able in dublin?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a place to buy a roll of this for a HD installation?

Somewhere that would be open tomorrow would be even better :)

Thanks

Welly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use a pair of ordinary coax. Pull/run four cables at once to house so you have the spares for a second HD or Sky+ or two non-PVRs (HD or ordinary).

Can be just as neat and any shotgun cable I've seen is poor quality.

Two cables is nothing to do with HD, but because it's got two tuners (record different channel to one watched). Ordinarily satellite cable signals can't be split like AerialTV/CableTV. Though there is a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

watty wrote: »
    Use a pair of ordinary coax. Pull/run four cables at once to house so you have the spares for a second HD or Sky+ or two non-PVRs (HD or ordinary).

Can be just as neat and any shotgun cable I've seen is poor quality.

Two cables is nothing to do with HD, but because it's got two tuners (record different channel to one watched). Ordinarily satellite cable signals can't be split like AerialTV/CableTV. Though there is a way.

Hey watty, I understand the basics of it, I know i just need two lines to have HD and record. I'm aware that i can run two seperate lines but would this shotgun cable not make it neater?

It still is two seperate lines essentially isnt it?

I 100% wont need any more lines other than these 2, no intention of multiroom, only renting this place and the less hassle removing it the better. Also dont want a huge hole drilled, smaller the better.

Though I guess if you knew of a place i could get some today you would have said. So maybe they arent common in Dublin. Can you recommend a good place to pick up high quality single coax cable/connectors/crimper etc that would be open this morning?

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I was out.
    ordinary cable is two neat holes. Shotgun cable needs one 2x big hole unless you split it all the way to dish.

You know that a 60 Euro sat receiver gets all the BBC, ITV, C4 and many others with no sub?

Never is very long time :)

You might get PF100 / CT100 cable in Maplin and the screw on F-Connectors on Sunday after 12pm. If done properly with correct size connector (the skinny hole version is for cable TV cable) it's fine.

The crimp is better, but needs a professional tool (up to 60 Euro) and professional connectors (often bags of 100).

I use crimp all the time (4 tools for 4 different connector on 3 sizes of cable), but have the screw ons also for "emergencies".

Screw ons:
    I cut enough to fold the braid back over itself and part of sheath. Then the connector is a really tight screw on. 2cm of amalgamating tape just on barrel to sheath on both ends, the Quad LNB has a connector shield so don't try and tape a connector after fitting to LNB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

The "Shotgun" cable used by Sky is WF65 which will fit through a single 10mm hole. The trade-off is that it has higher attenuation than standard cable so don't use a length greater than 20 metres unless you have a larger dish than standard.

The other "Shotgun" cable is WF100-twin, which is excellent stuff but requires splitting before the holes. Crimp is not a good idea for DIY. As Watty states, you need exactly the right connectors and tool or die for the specific cable, plus a fair bit of practice. I am useless at this - all my connections pulled off easily - so I just use the simple twist-on connectors. The trick is to buy the correct connectors for the cable. However, the only place I know that sells these to match the cable is Satcure.
    See fitting details here: http://www.satcure.net/tech/fconn.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

watty wrote: »
    Sorry I was out.
    ordinary cable is two neat holes. Shotgun cable needs one 2x big hole unless you split it all the way to dish.

You know that a 60 Euro sat receiver gets all the BBC, ITV, C4 and many others with no sub?

Never is very long time :)

You might get PF100 / CT100 cable in Maplin and the screw on F-Connectors on Sunday after 12pm. If done properly with correct size connector (the skinny hole version is for cable TV cable) it's fine.

The crimp is better, but needs a professional tool (up to 60 Euro) and professional connectors (often bags of 100).

I use crimp all the time (4 tools for 4 different connector on 3 sizes of cable), but have the screw ons also for "emergencies".

Screw ons:
    I cut enough to fold the braid back over itself and part of sheath. Then the connector is a really tight screw on. 2cm of amalgamating tape just on barrel to sheath on both ends, the Quad LNB has a connector shield so don't try and tape a connector after fitting to LNB.

Thanks for the help, I ran 2 single cables and used cable ties to keep them tight to each other.

I only have those screw connectors so hopefully they will make a tight fit. Gonna give it a go later today hopefully, any recommendations for running the two lines along the skirting board? They are too thick for the staple gun that i have. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Staple guns normally deform coax too much even if they fit and then RF leaks in and out. Only use for Cat5e and Cat3 and even then it must not compress the pairs or you will not meet spec for 100m @ 100Mbps ethernet never mind 1Gbps ethernet.

Either clip on cover self adhesive back trunking (looks very neat and can be painted) or 2.5mm twin& earth cable clips or similar rectangular clip that holds both cables in one clip. It MUST NOT compress the cable. Take two scraps of cable when buying (B&Q?, Homebase? Maplin?) to ensure a fit.

If a cable tie is biting cable cut it off and fit one less tight. For same reason there must be no twists, kinks or tight bends. Curve of your wrist is about max.

Advertisement