Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Issues

Options
  • 18-07-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

A few months ago I did an interview for a job and then two weeks later the employer rang me saying that they wanted to proceed further with the applicaton. They contacted my referees and then offered me the job with a starting date. I gave notice to my employer verbally but not in writing as I was waiting for the contract to arrive. However I never received any contract. After numerous phonecalls and e-mails I finally received the contract six weeks later and I went to my boss and told him again that I would be leaving within a month. However I had to renegotiate new dates with my employer so I sent an e-mail back saying I had to work out a months notice and would not be able to start until a later date. So far I have heard nothing back. I don't really want to give written notice until I have agreed new dates with my new employer. The HR dept seems to be just a joke - communication is not the best. I'm beginnng to think if this is the way the HR dept operates then I'm not sure I want to work there!! Should I just look for another job??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Most people here will tell you that HR departments tend to be less then organised at best. I'd simply let them know in a friendly call that you'll drop by at the end of the week to sign the contract and set up your acount details with them in regards to pay etc. Most HR departments will appricate this as you're making their life easier and you get all the paper work done as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

groovyg wrote: »
    The HR dept seems to be just a joke

Why does that no surprise me.
    Should I just look for another job??

Ring them and ask what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Thats the thing I have rung and e-mailed, and am not getting any replies at all. I cannot believe there is only one person dealing with the contracts. I spoke to somebody else last week and asked her if she could give me any info and a monkey would have been more helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I spoke to somebody else last week and asked her if she could give me any info and a monkey would have been more helpful.
    Sounds like HR alright :p

Seriously if you can drop by, call the reception and ask to be connected to HR. If HR don't pick it up leave a message in reception for them that you'll come in by Friday to sign the papers etc.

Advertisement