Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AutoGlym LifeShine - any good?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you will know I bought a new car last weekend (jeez r3nu4l, stop going on about it ffs! :)). The Audi dealer gave me an information leaflet about the Autoglym LifeShine service they provide.

Has anyone any experience of this? Is it any good? If I go to an automatic car wash would it remove the coating? How often should it be replenished? Is it worth it? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

How much are they charging for the application?

You can buy the life shine kit on ebay for £7.99, autoglym is average stuff, not great tbh.
    You would be better off getting a bottle of chamicalguys jetseal, will last far longer then the autoglym rubbish.
    About putting you car through carwashes, don't they wreck the paint, cause swirl marks and dry out the paint due to harsh chemicals that are used.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Avoid it as it is just another way dealers make a fast buck. Lots of commission for the salespersons and profit for the dealer. They buy the stuff for about 40-50 quid tops (including the aftercare gear they give out with it). The product itself is good enough (if applied correctly), it is just that it will most probably be slapped on at the dealers by some jobsworth in a mad rush. Don't think because they are an Audi dealer they will have higher standards of presentation or professionalism, you see lots of new prestige cars on Detailing World from various dealers in the UK and their handywork is the pits.

Even if it is applied correctly (big if) and you go through a car wash it will scratch the paint to kingdom come. It will strip off the sealant as well over time. With Lifeshine they give you an aftercare set with Super Resin Polish, Extra Gloss Protection, Bodywork Shampoo and all that. It is designed for owners who do hands on maintenance, not go through filling station car washes. The original coating might last 9 months without any treatment, other than washing. Thereafter the SRP has to be applied every 6 months at least. So in the long run it is just not worth paying a few hundred quid for. The 5-10 year guarantee is also a bit of a red herring as it is based on the owner performing the right hands on maintenance periodically. Lots of small print. Bottom line is you can get lots of better products out their for a fraction of the cost but it would depend how hands on you are before I would recommend one thing over another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shamzbat

Depends on the effort you're prepared to put into it.

Have a look here - some serious workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

r3nu4l wrote: »
    If I go to an automatic car wash should I be afraid to show my face here ever again?
    Fixed that for you. :D Enjoy the new car!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement