Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with dissertation

Options
  • 18-07-2008 1:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Doing an MSc and have a dissertation to do, due in November. I have lost 2 months due to holidays (had to go) and doing a work placement. It's now mid-July & I have 4 months left.

I can't get in touch with my supervisor & the college offices are closed down until the end of July.

I'm starting to get a bit panicky because I haven't really done anything except a draft questionnaire (nor do I have any previous experience doing a dissertation) and I'm in serious need of some guidance.

Anyone have any advice? I would be really grateful

T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Don't you worry. My thesis is due in Friday :( (you could be me)
    But seriosuly don't worry. Have you picked your topic? Have you researched the area you want to do you study on?

My advice is:

1. Research subject area
    2. Read, read, read as much lit as you can
    3. Decide what Methodology you are going to use
    4. Contact whoever you are doing your study on to get permission for access (that's very important)

Then go to your supervisor with all of the above and work it from there!!

Now, I wish I had till November..... :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks dublinmadyoke,

I've chosen the area & want to stick with it, but I'm just not too happy with the exact research question-that's why I want to talk to my supervisor.

But you're right in the meantime, I can do a load of reading & get a list of articles drawn up.

Thanks for the reply - I'm feeling a bit better already.
    Good luck with yours!

Don't worry about your research question at this early stage. What is your area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Don't worry about your research question at this early stage. What is your area?

The area is eco-labels like organic, fairtrade etc. (The masters is about the environment). Originally I was going to do a general survey of Irish consumers' attitudes towards ecolabels but I think that is a bit too vague & want to do something else.

Plus I've noticed that Bord Bia has done a survey like that on organic anway so it wouldn't be anything new.

Very interesting subject area! I suggest that you do not do a consumer attitude survey as you will have to get a good sample size for it to work it plus you will have to process the data by using SPSS, so between now and September you will have to learn how to use the software plus collect a vast amount of data.

If this is your first time writing a thesis and if I were you, I would stick with a qualitative study rather than quantitative. If you still want to do a questionnaire you will need to get your skates on as data collection takes a hell of a lot of time. Your supervisor as with all supervisors will not accept a sample size of anything less than 100 responses, therefore in order to get 100 responses you will need to send out a minimum of 500-600 questionnaires. Your supervisor will need to see your questionnaire before you issue it, did you do research methods in college?

If you do a qualitative study you can start working on it now. I would suggest that you log on and start downloading literature/journals to read, read around the subject area and you never know what you will pop up, once you have your subject area that’s half the battle!

If you need to ask any questions please feel free...
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

OK well I was going to go out & do the questionnaires face-to-face outside supermarkets and try and get 200 done over a week or two. I have covered research methods & bought a book on it so I would be OK on the format etc.

Never heard about that software though so I'll have to look into that. What sort of research methods suit a qualitative dissertation? Case study comparisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Also, get into your college library to look at previous dissertations, that will give you an idea of what you have to aim for.

Great advice, thanks guys

ok at this stage you should have a good grasp of research philosophies and approaches.

Qual is: Focus groups, participant observation, semi-structured interviews........

Yes you're right. Problem is, I did an exam on them back in January so they're a bit hazy. I wanted to decide on a question before I started going into the details of research methods.

But while I'm doing all my reading, it would be no harm to have a look at the book on social research. I do know focus groups, & the different types of interviews. Need to brush up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Can anyone help me, I’m currently (well at least trying to write!) my literature review, but the thing is I don’t know were to start!

Also with all dissertations do you have to use SPSS?? I don’t have clue how to use it or even anything about it

I’ll give you a bit of my background, last year I did my taught part of my MBA and looking back I did relatively well, average mark of 62.5% In my degree I didn’t have to do a dissertation so this is new to me, but in the last year I got a job and haven’t even looked at my diss. Saying that I have my introduction and research methodology done from last year when I was motivated to do it, its just hanging over me at this stage….all help gratefully received.

Many Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's your topic and discipline? Who mentioned SPSS to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

03mcgs0 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me, I’m currently (well at least trying to write!) my literature review, but the thing is I don’t know were to start!

Also with all dissertations do you have to use SPSS?? I don’t have clue how to use it or even anything about it

I’ll give you a bit of my background, last year I did my taught part of my MBA and looking back I did relatively well, average mark of 62.5% In my degree I didn’t have to do a dissertation so this is new to me, but in the last year I got a job and haven’t even looked at my diss. Saying that I have my introduction and research methodology done from last year when I was motivated to do it, its just hanging over me at this stage….all help gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Look at the advice we have given above. Look for examples of what past students have done.

Regarding SPSS, have you gathered any statistics? If not, then you don't need SPSS.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Chances are if you haven't had to use SPSS yet you don't need to. Possibly you've heard of people just using SPSS's graphing abilities as opposed to doing statistics analysis with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

I'm doing on dissertation on a tourism product in Ireland, it's tough work to gather data and information because no one has really wriiten about the area before. I had a flair for the subject when I was in college but that is long gone since starting work.

No I didn't do anything relating to statistics in my questionnaires so it looks like SPSS wont have to be worried about. Thank God!

Cheers for the replys

Advertisement