Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Company recycling

Options
  • 18-07-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Warning in advance - This is a bit of a rant.

We do our part at home, separating the recyclables from the waste to be disposed. Granted, we don't compost, but we do what we can.

Yesterday a certain waste disposal company (in clare) was late collecting the bins and recycling bags from outside our house. I was at home by the time they came and am so pissed off with them.

They picked up the bin, emptied it into the back of the truck and then threw the recycling bags in on top of them.
    Yes I am sure it was the same compartment - there was only one, with two mechanisms for emptying the bins into the truck.:eek:

I'm just so pi**ed off. I mean godda*it. They advertise a recycling service!

I'm not naming them, in case I'm being unfair.
    I know they were probably running 3 hours late and this may be an exception, but my wife phoned them before because she thought she saw the same thing. she was fobbed off with the "there's a separate section" excuse.

I know I need repeated photographic proof that they are doing this!
    Is it illegal, what they are doing? I know it's immoral. Do people know if it's standard practice?

/rant
    And thanks for listening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I would imagine its illegal charging for a service and not providing it, I would also think they could have their permit taken off them.

Here's the number for the environmental department of Clare CoCouncil (065) 6846331 if your sure of what you saw call them and don't let them give you the run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Some waste companies have a mechanical system that can separate recyclables out from mixed waste. It's not as good quality as separated recyclables and since you had already separated them out this seems like a waste of effort but all is not lost as it may be that your recyclables will not end up in landfill as you fear. Especially if this was an exception because the truck was running late. It may be worth calling the environment section in Clare CoCo as advised above though so that their collection permit inspector can check out the company that the waste is not all going to landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was going to post the same thread. Panda say they collect the green bins every 2 weeks, my neighbour put out their green bin on the day they only collect the black bins and it was emptied. I assume all the trucks are the same and it's just the same as when the black and green bins are emptied together on the designated days? But they couldn't all just be dumped in the same compartment, could they?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Thanks for that all. I might try and confirm that it's a regular thing before I hang them. But god help them if it's a regular occurrence!

Advertisement