Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Ultrasharp 2709W now €634!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

sorry, haven't bought one yet, but was impressed by the specs, but still think the prices are way too high......bring it down to €400 and I'd be much more interested......

would also be interested in the opinions of anyone that has bought one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

What advantages would one of these have over a brand name 32" lcd for the same money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Usually the only way to buy one of these cheaper is to add it to your order for a new Dell PC. Otherwise you're ripped off by Dell, who sell these monitors for far less (I mean hundreds less) in the US, Dell Ireland have been doing this for years.

This one is now about the same price as the US, but it's at full price in the US, and it's marked as a new product. So if Dell US took 25% off it would be about €472, that's about the real value of this monitor. By my thinking that's makes the Irish price €162 too much, even with the reduction: http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=biz&c=us&l=en&cs=555&category_id=2999&k=++Dell+Ultrasharp+2709W&cat=snp&x=10&y=4

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

where do you get the 'real value' from oracle? Haven't seen any other equivalent to the Dell at anywhere near this price. The Apple monitors use same samsung panels and they charge wayyyy more.

That's just my opinion. Monitors like all technology products go through a cycle from new release, to becoming mainstream, and then to slowly becoming old and obsolete. There's no category of technology products that typifies this more than LCD monitors.

I haven't looked at this category recently but the next most popular category down are 24" monitors, and from a quick browse I can see they can be had for around €300, about half the price of a 27". So that shows me 27" monitors are hugely overpriced and are currently a "hot product" within monitors. So you'll pay an inflated price until the next hot product comes along, probably 30/32" monitors. I believe the real non-inflated price to be around €472, thats about half the difference between €300 (the price of the next category down) and the current inflated price of €630. In fact the long term price is probably even lower, around the €400 mark, because the price differential between 22" and 24" is €80-100, so it should be the same for 24" to 27" monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Oracle your logic there is way off the mark.
    What about economics of scale, and supply and demand?
    Do you have evidence that the mark-up on this product in significantly greater than other similar products?

You could have simply stated that in your opinion the price doesn't represent value for money when compared to 24inch monitors widely available.

Instead you've justified nothing, but tried to quantify something using some arbitrary nonsensical method.

Oracle wrote: »
    That's just my opinion. Monitors like all technology products go through a cycle from new release, to becoming mainstream, and then to slowly becoming old and obsolete. There's no category of technology products that typifies this more than LCD monitors.

I haven't looked at this category recently but the next most popular category down are 24" monitors, and from a quick browse I can see they can be had for around €300, about half the price of a 27". So that shows me 27" monitors are hugely overpriced and are currently a "hot product" within monitors. So you'll pay an inflated price until the next hot product comes along, probably 30/32" monitors. I believe the real non-inflated price to be around €472, thats about half the difference between €300 (the price of the next category down) and the current inflated price of €630. In fact the long term price is probably even lower, around the €400 mark, because the price differential between 22" and 24" is €80-100, so it should be the same for 24" to 27" monitors.

I see what you are saying, but that logic has nothing to do with inflated value, it is due to increased supply and better yields on bigger panels as they are in production longer. (Combined with the usual fast pace of change in tech products).
    Also saying that a 22 to a 24 to a 27 panel should be the same differential is totally flawed. A 24 inch panel is harder to make than a 22, but a 27 inch is wayyyy harder to make than a 24, it has a massively increased screen area. You need to do some maths on it..

Basically you are saying they will be cheaper in the future, which the will be. As will every TV, PC, laptop, mp3 player etc etc. The latest and greatest will always be more expensive. However if you want a 27" PC monitor at the moment, this is incredible value and you certainly won't do any better imo.

You are pinning a real value on something that it or any equivalent can't be bought at, which makes it unreal, rather than real if you see my point of view.

(Personally I think the 27 is a great monitor but a big big for everyday use. The 24s are perfect for that)

Whoah, don't shoot the messanger guys. I get savaged while nobody criticises Dell for ripping Irish people off for years with over-priced monitors? Strange?? :confused:

Yes, I'm saying this monitor will be cheaper in the future, that's obvious, but it'll be become cheaper in a predictable way. The laws of supply and demand do work, and I've applied them. That's why the 27" monitor is so over priced (high demand) and why the 24" monitor is lower priced (it's found it's actual market price level through real sustainable on-going demand.)

Anyway leaving all that aside for a while here's my suggestions for getting a large LCD monitor cheaper now:

* Wait. :P
    * Order a cheap Dell PC and upgrade to this, or something similar.
    * Buy or upgrade to a 24" instead.

Oracle wrote: »
    That's why the 27" monitor is so over priced (high demand) and why the 24" monitor is lower priced (it's found it's actual market price level through real sustainable on-going demand.)

No, the 24 has come down because Dell made a cheaper version, that is missing features compared to the orginal. (Along with other people finally catching up with them and being able to produce them). They replaced the price point with the 27". Your definition of market price is flawed also, things don't 'find' there market price after years on sale.

I really don't get why you keep saying 'overpriced' when you haven't produced any cheaper alternative. It may be expensive but you have absolutely no evidence to say it is overpriced except some kind of anti dell bias.

I don't think anyone tried to savage you, just pointed out your totally fawed logic and lack of understanding on how flat panels are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one! I'll post a review here when it arrives. I have been loyal to Dell for many years, especially for their LCD monitors which are usually top quality. Because of the rip-off prices in Ireland my last two Dell monitors (the 2001FP and the 2405FPW) were hauled back here from California courtesy of Aer Lingus :) With the current exchange rate of about $1.59 this model would work out at about the same price as here in Ireland. When Dell do their 25% (sometimes 35%) discounts in the USA then I would consider buying over the pond again. 35% off would give a price about €400 ...

That said if you are looking for a real bargain in a 24" LCD then you can't go too far wrong with this one:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=50C4&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,412800000

I've been using it for about 2 months now and it is an absolute steal for the price. The panel is also PVA and coated in an X-Brite type coating. Great for watching HD movies and comes with VGA and DVI connectors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement