Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satillite dish messed about

Options
  • 18-07-2008 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

My satillite dish sits at ground level out back. One day the signal was gone and I went outside and checked it.

The dish had been moved (repointed) about by some joker, I have put the dish back to it usual position ( -a point that I have measured from before-) and there is no signal at all. It's blank. Zippo, Nada.

I wondered about the two cables that attach into the LNB, might have been switched and fit onto another one of the four sockets.I tried each combination, two wires and four sockets and this did not make any difference. Left as found.

Is it possible to break the LNB, or twist it about. I am wondering why the signal has vanished despite the mini dish being repointed as a prank.

There is an area near me that for a couple of weeks in the summer swarms with kids visiting. So the odd prank is worth it as it's only a seasonal problem.

Anyway does anyone know where to buy a new LNB for a sky+ box, as satillite.ie are on holidays until july 30th. They are not expensive but hard to find.

P.s Could I get sky to replace it I wonder.It is quite a new system.

*The cable (foam ) is not completely buried and runs above ground in small parts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

LNB is quite robust, would be difficult to break. Sounds like a quad LNB, so all outputs are the same, so doesn't matter which cable goes to which output.

It would be very difficult to get the dish back in the position that it was in before by sight alone, unless you had appropriate paint marks on the parts that can be rotated/adjusted.

If the dish is definately back in it's original position, maybe the little sh!ts twisted the LNB in it's holder. As you look at the dish from the front, the LNB needs to be skewed/rotated clockwise, so that the top is in about the 1 to 2 o'clock position.

Once you get it back to normal, you need to look for the thread with the guy having trouble with birds interfering with his dish, and maybe consider some of the more radical suggestions made.

You shouldn't have to suffer this kind of abuse and destruction of your property. If they're allowed to get away with it now, who knows what sort of "pranks" they'll be getting up to when they're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2 degrees off in any direction and no signal.

It's unlikely to be really back where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

pirelli wrote: »
    There is an area near me that for a couple of weeks in the summer swarms with kids visiting. So the odd prank is worth it as it's only a seasonal problem.

Hook the dish up to the mains (well 36 volts) for the seasonal problem, joke will be on them :D

Sounds more like your dish is still not aligned, Sky Boxes are not the best at aligning dishes, can you borrow an FTA or better still buy a cheap Sat finder, you'll get one for about 15-20 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

It's sad that you couldn't copy "satellite" correctly ( the name of this forum ). Your attention to detail is obviously poor so please read this very carefully.
    Your dish needs to be aligned properly. See this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMbbi2l9JA

Also you mention that the cable is buried. That's not a good idea unless it is the proper (expensive) cable that is designed to be buried or is in Alkathene conduit. It will be attacked by soil microbes and vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Quad-output LNBs are available from all on-line satellite mail-order suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Vermin with wings (Rooks) pecked a hole in a coax of mine on a nearly flat roof.

I have a buried waste pipe installed purely to get coax cables across the garden. If water gets in though it will be a problem. Ordinary coax isn't totally waterproof either.

Advertisement