Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

information greatly appreciated

Options
  • 17-07-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi all

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a site contain useful info about obtaining a council house or if indeed anybody here knows a little about it

Basically my girlfriend and i are gonna look into this but work in a way that neither can get to the council offices to inquire. We are thinking of this as a alternative to buying as we struggle to save enough and a mortgage just wouldn't be doable right now

I've heard of people buying their houses from the council after a few years which i like the idea of if we could get a house in a decent area but do you have to take a house wherever they offer or do you need to qualify by means test- we both earn a little over mininum wage but have been putting in alot of overtime lately

Any help would be a help
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are different models available. Take a look here: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Housing/AffordableHousing/

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Contact your local council (ring/write/look on their website if you can’t take a morning off work to drop into them) or your local citizen’s advice centre may also be able to help. The information is detailed and varies too much to write here.

If eligible you could be waiting years for a council house in your desired area (one of my relatives waited 10 years for a house in Dublin 12) and then when finally eligible to get a mortgage to buy the house the reduction in price is roughly 3% a year up to a maximum of 10 years/30% although that may have changed.

Advertisement