Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Boosh trying to be timeless with clever references?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 8:06pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well its like the title.
    They use euros as a currency. The stars they bring in are largely of a timeless nature. The sets, zoos, shops... no coffee bars or juice lounges. The characters are based in an unreality that cannot really date. They reference music, particularly Gary Numan and a few others, but by and large they seem to be attempting to make a comedy that people will not consider dated in, say, 20 years time.
    Do you think that this is on their minds at all as they are writing or is it just an observation that I pulled out my ass to throw at you like some sort of retarded space monkey?
    If it is it true it just makes the whole thing that much better.
    Thats my 1/50th of a euro.
    My current favourite boosh quote is as follows:

Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as
    good as either...

Can kinda be taken as a universally depressing statement to absolutely ruin your faith in anything if you think enough about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Gary Numan is already dated, how can he lend it a timeless quality....whereas some of us remember him now in 10 years no-one will know who the hell he was !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Gary Numan is already dated, how can he lend it a timeless quality....whereas some of us remember him now in 10 years no-one will know who the hell he was !

Nah you see Numan is seen as an electronic music godfather really. So I mentioned it meself, but think about it, Numan will still be big in ten years time. Sher didnt he just bring out an album?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Most good comedy tends to have that slightly timeless quality to it anyway, the likes of most of the stuff Ronnie Barker did (Porridge, Open All Hours, and The Two Ronnies), Dads Army, Steptoe and Son, Fawtly Towers, Men Behaving Badly, Only Fools and Horses and so on and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

at the same time though... ****, how many modern references are in there?

all the niche kinda bands and faces and stuff that maybe one of the cool electro chicks in camden might recognise, but that i barely have a clue of now. references to amy winehouse (saw the journey to the centre of punk one on tv today), or the likes... a lot of stuff on it is gonna get pretty old pretty quick, i reckon. i dont think they're trying to be clever and up to date and stuff for the sake of it, i think that's kinda just what they're into, and something that just happens to have a certain timeless quality to it... i by no means think they are doing it on purpose...

... except maybe the euro thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

at the same time though... ****, how many modern references are in there?
    all the niche kinda bands and faces and stuff that maybe one of the cool electro chicks in camden might recognise, but that i barely have a clue of now. references to amy winehouse (saw the journey to the centre of punk one on tv today), or the likes... a lot of stuff on it is gonna get pretty old pretty quick, i reckon. i dont think they're trying to be clever and up to date and stuff for the sake of it, i think that's kinda just what they're into, and something that just happens to have a certain timeless quality to it... i by no means think they are doing it on purpose...
    ... except maybe the euro thing.

True, they have loads of modern references, but also retro references, and in the Boosh universe, they are all modern, they are all applicable. The surrealness makes it cool and funny no matter when it'll be watched :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement