Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky News: Tabloid Tripe

Options
  • 17-07-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or did Sky News use to be good. Back in the day I thought it actually served a function but over the last year or two it has just become inane babble 24/7.

The amount of non-news stories e.g Entertainment rubbish, the continuous over hyping of everything and the constant breaking news bar with news that's not breaking news at all.

Is it just me or is it totally unwatchable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree... the overuse of the "Breaking News" bar has desensitised me to real (important) breaking news.

"Breaking News - Gordon Brown had Brown Bread and eggs for breakfast"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    "Breaking News - Gordon Brown had Brown Bread and eggs for breakfast"
    Tell me more...!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

His eggs have exploded in the microwave and police have several Muslim suspects for the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its just gone the same way as Fox news. It was always going to happen really.

Its news for the unemployed and the illiterate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

WindSock wrote: »
    His eggs have exploded in the microwave and police have several Muslim suspects for the incident.

ROFL

Yeah I agree with you death1234567, it's just a live action version of the Evening Herald or somesuch trash paper at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Totally unwatchable.The newsreaders of today are the celebrities .The BBC gort rid of one good newsreader in Moira Stuart simply cuz she was seen as to old ,nothing to do with her newsreading skills which were exellent and strsight foreward to the point.

All the pretty young things 'eye candy ' have taken over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've never rated Sky News and can never understand why it gets the "News-channel of the year award" every year. The presenters aren't the most likeable people, with that nice Kay "slugger" Burley, Anna "I'm trying to make a name for myself" Botting and the one at the top of my list, Tim Marshall, the smug git. There's something about that guy that really gets on my wick.
    "I know stuff and I'm doing you all a big favour by telling you some of it" - I think that's the kind of thing he'd say under his breath.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhh:mad:

Murdoch's got a lot to answer for.

Can see them sitting in the sky news studio thinking ' look at us , the world hangs on our every word ' .

It's over a year since i watched a sky news report /item and in no hurry to listen to the same dribbling story over, and over, again every 15 minutes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

They're appalling. Someone seriously needs to explain to them that all news is not necessarily newsworthy.

Sknews.com is even worse - news in pictures for people who can't actually be bothered to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I haven't watched Sky News in about 9 months and I am surviving just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Never really watch Sky News, normally watch Sky Sports New but this summer has been hilarious watching them trying to fill the gap of no football and England not being in Euro 2008.

They've also had to backtrack on a lot of "news stories" this summer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I get the feeling they don't have the money they once did. If so that is the same as every newsroom (newsnight is down to puting loose change in the meter)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I often wonder how they cram all of those people into that Sky satellite - must be like the Tardis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Is it just me or did Sky News used to be good?
    *sigh of nostalgia*

The invasion of Iraq in 2003 was exceptionally good as well.

What gets on my tits is the way normal stories are given the whole amazing status. Consider today's headlines, Murat wins libel action and the wife of the canoeist who faked his death gives evidence in court. Perfectly acceptable stories until they're "glossed" with flashy graphics and given the overall Sky News treatment.

9/11 changed the whole news channel format. Consider the ticker - its pointless on a UK channel where so little happens they can justify having a primetime bulletin that lasts 15 minutes... every 15 goddamn minutes. And its even more pointless in an age with Sky News Active and the interweb. Charlie Brooker pointed out the 6W's (who, what, where etc) and the new 7th one - WOAH!! That takes precedence over everything nowadays. */rant*

The last two sky news items of intrest to me were bushs vist to ireland and the irish defence forces 1916 commemeration of 2 years ago .

The London bombing footage was shown over and over, every 15 mins for days and weeks after .

To much for anybody to be subjected to this overflow of info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its disgusting and vulgar, I urge everyone to watch something else.

911 was manna for them, since then its the same old sensational, repeat ad nauseum scare mongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

The first gulf war and 9/11 made news tv what it is today.Sky are the worst of a very bad bunch closely followed by CNN. Both channels are tripe IMO and tell the story from one side of the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yep, after 9/11 it was just another Fox clone. Terror alert this, dirty bomb that, muslim fanatic the other. 7/7 came and went (every 15 minutes for a good two months) They got sick of Iraq. Then there was Madeline... they milked that really really dry.
    *sigh of nostalgia*

Fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

most of it is just sensationalised

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Its disgusting and vulgar, I urge everyone to watch something else.

Couldn't agree more. Sky News does not broadcast news, only human interest tripe and celebrity 'goss'....every fifteen minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

There are news channels there. You have to ignore channels 501 and 510 (on the Sky EPG at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Fox News is a disgusting piece of product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

I agree Sky News is a joke, the breaking news bar is ridiculous, one day there will be some acual serious breaking news story which everyone will ignore because they'll think its crap:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sensationalist opinionated pap really. I stick it on in the mornings sometimes when I'm getting ready and the way they hammer on relentlessly about knife-crime and recession you'd swear the apocalypse was nigh.

I'd feel sorry for anyone who considers it an authentic source of news information or lets one iota of its spewed editorialising impinge on their view of the world they live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Its just the UK version of Fox news which is a glorified tabloid production:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't think its as good as it used to be. In many ways, BBC News 24, sorry, I mean, the BBC News Channel, is more an inheriter of the legacy of the old Sky News from 1989-2001 that we all knew and loved. Its also closer in style, having the half hour "features" programming that were a hallmark of Sky in its old era. The 2001 relaunch was where things changed for me. All the features were ditched over the General Election period, returned very briefly afterwards before going for good. The Newswall marked style over substance although arguably used a lot better than ITV's equivilant, the much mocked theatre of news (as the BBC parady put it, the "Standing News").

Still, comparing Sky News with Fox is going overboard. Sky's never introduced (successfully) the sort of opinion-led schedule that Fox has become known for and certainly has no Bill O'Reilly equivilant (despite no less than three attempts to turn Richard Littlejohn into one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

My main pet hates of Sky News in it's current guise:
    1. The amount of non-news, ie entertainment and huge amounts of sports coverage even though Sky Sports News is in existence.
    2. That aircraft hangar/disco of a studio.
    3.Very few presnters remaining with any sort of gravitas.
    4. Overkill of the breaking news banner.

Is it just me, or does their evening bulletins sound like an advertisement for the Heathrow Express train....in 15 minutes, every 15 minutes!

Thankfully with a bit of tweaking of the sky box the BBC News channel becomes available:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They have a few good journalists but overall it's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Terrible terrible tabloid sh*te

Is BBC news 24 any good? Need another 24 hour news show really...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

al jazeera english is where it's at imo

france 24 is grand when it's in english, and that russian tv station on sky ain't terrible.

Advertisement