Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer ring Road (N7-N81) Extension Open

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed last night that the Outer Ring Road extension between the N7 (Kingswood interchange) and the N81 (Cookstown and Cheeverstown roads) is finally open.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was fairly unannounced... will give it a go tonight, can get to Cheeverstown faster than I can get to the top of the queue at Newlands anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That short bit of road took a hell of a long time. Looking at the aerial images it seems they laid a large (mains water?) pipe at the same time which may account for the delay. A useful road indeed-West Dublin badly needs more north-south distributor roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Is there bus priority?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I forgot to try it out... Newlands from Belgard was quieter today though - could be as a result.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

HonalD wrote: »
    Is there bus priority?
    It has bus lanes both ways.

Good to see some forward planning going on. The junction with the future Embankment Road already has the Luas tracks laid. Saves them having to dig the road up again in 6 months when work begins on A1. Lessons being learned finally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

spacetweek wrote: »
    The junction with the future Embankment Road already has the Luas tracks laid. Saves them having to dig the road up again in 6 months when work begins on A1. Lessons being learned finally.

Excellent.

Thought I saw that from the corner of my eye when driving past this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

spacetweek wrote: »
    It has bus lanes both ways.

Good to see some forward planning going on. The junction with the future Embankment Road already has the Luas tracks laid. Saves them having to dig the road up again in 6 months when work begins on A1. Lessons being learned finally.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

murphaph wrote: »
    :eek:

One small step for man........credit where credit is due:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

MYOB wrote: »
    I forgot to try it out... Newlands from Belgard was quieter today though - could be as a result.

I've been informed that the plan was to get this road finished BEFORE they START work on the Newlands Cross interchange!
    Not sure if people will take the necessary diversions - the N81 between the N81/Belgard jct and the N81/Cheerverstown jct is a disgrace - just how many sets of traffic lights did they really need between both junctions - I count about 4 sets in a distance of maybe 2kms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

the N81 between the N81/Belgard jct and the N81/Cheerverstown jct is a disgrace - just how many sets of traffic lights did they really need between both junctions - I count about 4 sets in a distance of maybe 2kms!

Try driving beyond the Cheerverstown junction. There are eight lights between the Belgard junction and the lights at the N82 junction. :mad:

• Advertisement

I've been informed that the plan was to get this road finished BEFORE they START work on the Newlands Cross interchange!
    Not sure if people will take the necessary diversions - the N81 between the N81/Belgard jct and the N81/Cheerverstown jct is a disgrace - just how many sets of traffic lights did they really need between both junctions - I count about 4 sets in a distance of maybe 2kms!

May have been the intention to provide an alternate route (thats not the N82) before starting.

Advertisement