Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky: A new low

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm watching Saving Private Ryan; its a film I've managed to avoid either intentionally or accidentally, I cant really be sure anymore. So, I decided to watch it now while I had the chance.

Half way through the movie and its pretty good, sky have their usual 5 minutes of ads. Only, when the ads are supposed to end, a sky presenter comes on and says how there is now a brief interruption for some crappy Sky premiere show about movies.

This goes on for another good 5 minutes, when we are finally rewarded with another 5 minute set of ads.

Combined with the fact that this is the first thing I've watched on this ****ty channel in 5 weeks or more, I'm pretty pissed off with the cheek of them...

Really, how they can continue to claim "Entertainment channel of the year" is beyond me.

According to imdb, Saving Priate Ryan has a 170 minute runtime. According to entertainment.ie, Sky are showing the film from 21:00 till 01:40. That means Sky are showing a 2 hours and 50 minute film in 4 hours and 40 minutes.

Now, assuming 5 minutes between the end of the film and the start of the next program, 15 minute credits and a generous 10 minute introduction: We get 1 hour and 50 minutes minus 30 minutes means 1 hour and 20 minutes of adverts.

Thats almost half the length of the film in ad breaks?
    I mean, what the hell sky? I wouldnt mind the ridiculous numbers if you showed good shows, but you are simply a european syndicate channel, buying shows from America when they are cheap or very successful. Producing the odd dungheap show or stealthily remaking successful shows of some other channels' *cough* Rome *cough* Empire.

I'm just frustrated as hell with this channel. Used to be one of the best channels around and now it is beat out by channels like TV3 and Channel 6. Neither of which produce any new shows and are pretty much worse than Sky at the syndiwhoring, but at least they dont have ridiculous amounts of adverts. They realise they are **** but at least they dont punish you twice for the fact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

according to sky digital, its over at 00.15!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I am recording this on sky plus, thank god I can skip through all it though.
    Off topic I know but I rarely ever watch live tv any more (unless it sports of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I agree with u... was watching it last night. It bloody went on for ever. There was way way way to many adds. It has head wrecking.. It ended at 1:40 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the movie is over at 12:15 not 1:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What the ****?

They showed this only last night. Same film two nights in a row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What the ****?

They showed this only last night. Same film two nights in a row?

They all do that... Sure the same two episodes of Top Gear have been shown 3 times in a row on UK TV gold since last night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Great thing about dvds , no commercials and the film pauses for you not other way round :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More importantly what the fupp are you doing watching film on SKY ONE?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,861 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ivan wrote: »
    TV3..............., but at least they dont have ridiculous amounts of adverts. They realise they are **** but at least they dont punish you twice for the fact.

Is this the Irish TV3?, channel I refuse to watch because of it's ridiculous amount of adverts.

I have seen said movie for €4.99 in numerous shops, I suggest you cancel your sub and buy cheap movies instead.

If you keep your box, turn the card upside down and you will recieve a good few free channels, including the BBC's who have no adds but the tendancy to cut pieces out of films. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Solution - get a Sky+ box (now down to €49 for new subscribers) - record the movie and fast forward through the ads. I hardly ever watch live TV now either.

Sky 1 is most definitely full of ads but for the sake of pressing a button for 10 seconds, I'll live with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I'm in rented accomadation and the landlord pays for cable tv. Dont have an option for sky+ and I agree, I had it for 9 months and it was superb... but we shouldnt have to pay extra to turn a terrible t.v service into a decent one.

As for the reason I watched it on Sky One was because it was on and I had little else to do. Wont be making that mistake again.

In the end I didnt watch the last 2 hours of the film (and ads) because it was just way too long. I'll end up renting it or something. Probably wont be making the same mistake of turning on Sky any time soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Half way through the movie and its pretty good, sky have their usual 5 minutes of ads. Only, when the ads are supposed to end, a sky presenter comes on and says how there is now a brief interruption for some crappy Sky premiere show about movies.

This goes on for another good 5 minutes, when we are finally rewarded with another 5 minute set of ads.

Wow I checked online and it is listed as being on from 21:00 to 01:40. Even if that is a mistake - that amount of ads in the middle of a film even by Sky's standards is fuppin wowful.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

So, I'm watching Saving Private Ryan; its a film I've managed to avoid either intentionally or accidentally, I cant really be sure anymore. So, I decided to watch it now while I had the chance.

Combined with the fact that this is the first thing I've watched on this ****ty channel in 5 weeks or more, I'm pretty pissed off with the cheek of them...

Really, how they can continue to claim "Entertainment channel of the year" is beyond me.

According to imdb, Saving Priate Ryan has a 170 minute runtime. According to entertainment.ie, Sky are showing the film from 21:00 till 01:40. That means Sky are showing a 2 hours and 50 minute film in 4 hours and 40 minutes.

Now, assuming 5 minutes between the end of the film and the start of the next program, 15 minute credits and a generous 10 minute introduction: We get 1 hour and 50 minutes minus 30 minutes means 1 hour and 20 minutes of adverts.

Thats almost half the length of the film in ad breaks?
    I mean, what the hell sky? I wouldnt mind the ridiculous numbers if you showed good shows, but you are simply a european syndicate channel, buying shows from America when they are cheap or very successful. Producing the odd dungheap show or stealthily remaking successful shows of some other channels' *cough* Rome *cough* Empire.

I'm just frustrated as hell with this channel. Used to be one of the best channels around and now it is beat out by channels like TV3 and Channel 6. Neither of which produce any new shows and are pretty much worse than Sky at the syndiwhoring, but at least they dont have ridiculous amounts of adverts. They realise they are **** but at least they dont punish you twice for the fact.

theyre just as bad as rte for movies, I rec it on sky one hd last nite, wanted to see it in glorious HD, it took up 11% on the hard drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

RastaRed wrote: »
    theyre just as bad as rte for movies
    RTE2 have a tendency to put the news and weather in the middle of films too. Why can't they just put the news on before, or after, the film? Does it really have to go out at exactly the same time each night?

As for Sky, well I got rid of that years back, and haven't missed a thing. Free to air, FTW. You pay your licence, you pay for Sky, and you still have to suffer through an hour and a half of ads in one film? No thank you.

Was talking to a Polish lad last week, he was písséd at having to pay his license fee.

In Poland if you have the equivalent of Sky you are exempt from the license fee as it is seen as you are paying twice.

You think RTE will strike up a similar deal with Sky? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yet another reason not to pay Sky

Boggles wrote: »

They already did. RTE don't pay Sky for encryption on the satellite, and Sky are free to charge whatever they like to re-broadcast. That's why you don't get RTE on Sky when you're not paying for it, but you do get most the the British channels.

jor el wrote: »
    They already did. RTE don't pay Sky for encryption on the satellite, and Sky are free to charge whatever they like to re-broadcast. That's why you don't get RTE on Sky when you're not paying for it, but you do get most the the British channels.

Thats not really similar to what I was talking about, In Poland the equivant of Sky pay your Licenese fee for you if you a sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 debby08

sky is a ripoff anyway,had them n changed ova to chorus/ntl n it much beta,still have all d channels n half d price,n they dont mind if u a little late payin bill,unlike sky who cut u off straight away.

debby08 wrote: »
    n ova t n beta d n d n u payin u

Ahem, rule 10, ahem.
    Boggles wrote:
    Thats not really similar to what I was talking about, In Poland the equivant of Sky pay your Licence fee for you if you a sub.
    True, but my point is that RTE already made a cosy deal with Sky which saves them a fortune, and they can still collect full licence fees from us all. It's unlikely that they'll stop shafting us in favour of a more balanced charging scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Argh, I cant believe they are doing it again. In the middle of batman begins... grrr, so glad I've seen this movie a million times and can just stop watching...

Stupid fúcking channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Bro, stop watching sky one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i happened by this and and id noticed alot of ads, i started to flip and then missed the bit i wanted to rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think they are putting the films on Sky one to get more people to get the movie package, as all the ads before the film restarts is Sky movies.

Was watching Batman Begins just to refresh my mind before seening the Dark Knight and god dam it the number of ads was bad should have just watched it on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think they are putting the films on Sky one to get more people to get the movie package, as all the ads before the film restarts is Sky movies.

Was watching Batman Begins just to refresh my mind before seening the Dark Knight and god dam it the number of ads was bad should have just watched it on DVD

I think that they have resorted to saturation movies because they can't find enough programmes to fill the schedules on Sky 1, 2 and 3. I use the word "programmes" loosely. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that they have resorted to saturation movies because they can't find enough programmes to fill the schedules on Sky 1, 2 and 3. I use the word "programmes" loosely. :)

If they dont have enough filler they turn to the trusty old favourite - the Simpsons. Isnt there a night where it is the Simpsons from 6 till 9 in the evening? Or maybe thats all nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

darkman2 wrote: »
    If they dont have enough filler they turn to the krusty old favourite - the Simpsons. Isnt there a night where it is the Simpsons from 6 till 9 in the evening? Or maybe thats all nights!

Sorry, couldn't resist amending that - crusty would probably fit as well.

I think many people can now recite Simpson scripts word for word (not me though).:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Boggles wrote: »

Why would they when they can take every household in the country from behind with the license fee, I havenm't watched more then 15min of RTE channels in about a year now and yet the bastards force me to pay a fee that RTE use to make programs I don't ever watch.

Atleast Channel 6 shows some Sci-Fi and Heroes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i know the OP already said its not possible but sky+! its seriosuly great stuff. i can't remember the last time i sat through ads. plus if the tv isnt free your programmes are waiting for you at the end of the day. couldn't live without it now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

Sky + is a must in amy house now! It lets you do what you want when you want.
    Have to agree with Ivan, there is no way in hell that that channel should have the title of "entertainment channel of the year".
    Road wars is the only programme that I watch on SkyOne! Tis a jike of a channel.

Advertisement