Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So angry about this...

Options
  • 16-07-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I went to the dentist a coples of months ago. He wasn't my regular dentist but he was located near work. He told me i had to have all my wisdom teeth out. I don't earn a lot of money and had only been working full-time for a month so i hadn't enough 'stamps' to afford this.
    So the past month i've had pain in one of my wisdom teeth coming up. I asked my mum to book an appointment at my regular dentist. She told them i was in pain and needed the tooth out. I got an appointment the next week and took a little time of work.

So i go to the dentist ready for the pain. The dentist examines my teeth and agree that tooth in question doesn't appear to have room to come up but get this he no longer takes out wisdom teeth (he used to coz he took out my sisters). He has a quick chat about wisdom tooth and tells me my options either dentristy hospital or private. I cannot afford private so nicely he'll send a ltter to the dentristy hospital for me but quote "you could be retired by the time you hear back from them". After my 7/8 minutes visit i go out and have to pay 45 EURO.

I'm a lil annoyed but got WAY more annoyed after leaving the dentist. When my mum booked the appointment she told the receptionist i needed it out. Do i have a right to be annoyed about this? Sorry i just needed to vent. I am in pain had to wait a week to what i thought would get the pain away and now i feel i have been taken for a ride which this situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

as far as i know, most dentists wont book you in for a procedure until they have examined you themselves, so just cause your mother rang saying you needed an extraction they wouldnt necessarily book you in for one. from their point of view, the patient might think they need one course of action but another might in fact be best. i know you'd been seen by another dentist previously who recommended an extraction but your dentist mightnt have known that, and anyway he'd much rather perform his own assessment of you.

re the fact that he wont do it himself- i can only presume that he feels you'd get a better service at the hospital. wisdom tooth extraction is more complicated than regular ones. maybe he doesnt do them very often anymore and therefore feels "deskilled". tbh, i'd much rather have it done in a hospital by someone who was doing it on a daily basis than by someone who doesnt do it very often.

Advertisement