Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors Fees??

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi all

Have just been quoted €2.1K (inc VAT) to handle the (hopeful) sale of my property, it's a 2 bed apt.....I thought this was excessive and will look for an alternative quote but perhaps someone could advise whether this is the norm?

Many thanks

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It does seem steep. Lots of conveyancing solicitors aren't very busy at the moment so shop around.

Does that figure include the expected outlay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor wrote: »
    It does seem steep. Lots of conveyancing solicitors aren't very busy at the moment so shop around.

Big time. My little sis is a conveyancing solicitor- its totally dead. You can pretty much make the solicitor an offer and providing you're not totally taking the piss, there is a good chance they'll be happy just to get something to do.......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

For a straightforward residential conveyance of an averagish property, the range is from €995 for a yellow pages doubtful quality conveyance to about €3500 for one of the best in the business (both figures exclusive of VAT and outlay).

Because you are selling as opposed to buying, the sale is much easier and there is much less risk to the solicitor, so it's cheaper than if you were the purchasor (or if you were selling and buying at the same time).

You don't want to get a cowboy, and you simply don't need a conveyancing expert.

Expect around €1200-1500 (+VAT & outlay) for a good honest conveyance, and as the moderators say you might try to bargain them down. Maybe see who will do it in that range and see if they will go below €1k for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

Thanks so much for the replies, I got a second quote from a solicitor recommended by a pal and it's €1,600 (Inc VAT & Outlay) which is around what I expected. Now, if I could just sell my apt, everything would be going swimmingly :)

J.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Julietta wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the replies, I got a second quote from a solicitor recommended by a pal and it's €1,600 (Inc VAT & Outlay) which is around what I expected. Now, if I could just sell my apt, everything would be going swimmingly :)

J.

I'd say you could still go lower, but if this solicitor is recommended by a friend and trusted by you that's worth the few extra quid (although I would say that, I hear you say).

Best of luck with the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

i'd echo everything Johnny says there; you might also want to consider going to the solicitor who acted on your behalf for the purchase of the property. He'll have done the legwork ensuring that the property was good to purchase in the first instance and on the grounds that

a) it's repeat business
    b) he was happy for you to buy it, he should be able to sell it!
    c) there's less time involved in files being moved from Solicitor A to B

it might make sense.

Obviously if you've a reason for not going back to him, ignore this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

It was the solicitor who handled the purchase who quoted me €2.1K, I couldn't believe it as they only charged me €1K all in to buy the place.....and refunded me €19 in unused outlay which I imagine is virtually unheard of in solicitor world :D

Will still try to do better than €1.6K but I agree, for the sake of a hundred quid or so I'd prefer to go with the recommendation.

Thanks again

J.

Times are slow- sounds like he/she knows they probably have a captive audience and is doing their best to get whatever they can out of you.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Julietta wrote: »
    It was the solicitor who handled the purchase who quoted me €2.1K, I couldn't believe it as they only charged me €1K all in to buy the place.....and refunded me €19 in unused outlay which I imagine is virtually unheard of in solicitor world :D

Will still try to do better than €1.6K but I agree, for the sake of a hundred quid or so I'd prefer to go with the recommendation.

Thanks again

J.

then he's a chancer. tell him that Grumpytrousers from off of the interwebulator said that selling is easier than buying in that all he has to do is bag up the file he already has and fling it at some other sap and wait for them to pony up the spondulicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

smccarrick wrote: »
    Times are slow- sounds like he/she knows they probably have a captive audience and is doing their best to get whatever they can out of you.........

I think you are right. My solicitor wrote me over an appart purchase transaction to advise they are gonna charge me more because of me asking questions...never heard off!! A property below 150K ad they wanna charge me over 2.1k...not gonna happen. Filed a complaint to law society...has any of you ever had a similar situation? What was the outcome ?...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Mucria wrote: »
    I think you are right. My solicitor wrote me over an appart purchase transaction to advise they are gonna charge me more because of me asking questions...never heard off!! A property below 150K ad they wanna charge me over 2.1k...not gonna happen. Filed a complaint to law society...has any of you ever had a similar situation? What was the outcome ?...

That's what you get for making a pest of yourself. I know of a situation where a client complained about a solicitor's bill to the Law Society. The Law Society directed him to reduce it. The solicitor appealed to the High Court which directed the bill be taxed. The result was that the bill went up and the client had to pay the costs of the taxation as well!

Jo King wrote: »
    That's what you get for making a pest of yourself. I know of a situation where a client complained about a solicitor's bill to the Law Society. The Law Society directed him to reduce it. The solicitor appealed to the High Court directed the bill be taxed. The result was that the bill went up and the client had to pay the costs of the taxation as well!

You have to pay VAT on the bill come what may- sounds like it was accidentally omitted in the first instance. S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

smccarrick wrote: »
    You have to pay VAT on the bill come what may- sounds like it was accidentally omitted in the first instance. S.

This was nothing to do with VAT. What is meant by taxation of costs is referral to the Taxing Master of the High Court or the County Registrar who decides on whether the costs are reasonable and if not decides on a reasonable level. VAT would have been charged in the first instance and if the level of allowed costs rose the amount of VAT would also have arisen. If costs are not reduced by at least 16% at the taxation hearing the referring party has to pay the costs of the taxation hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

okki I see what taxation means. Let me add...surprise surprise...money is not everything...these fanta-solicitor of mine gotta feel a stream of cold air on their neck...one way or the other. Will keep you posted as per the result of the "action". Thanks fot the clarification, was wondering what taxation mean...in my case let's see 2100euro...minus 16% would be 336euro...so 1764euro...hmmm food for thoughts

Advertisement