Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic starter rifle

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Was looking at a few rifles, this seems incredibly cheap - any opinions?

Looking to buy a few, though they won't be used for shooting much, maybe the odd target practice but that's about the extent of it. I realize the power is incredibly weak, but it's not really a huge concern - more so the build quality and construction.

Was also looking at this, but it's double the price and the reviews say it's not actually metal....

The plan is to get this one eventually. :D

I also see airsoftworld have quite a few cheap gas powered pistols....they seem to cater for a more budget market but it's sort of the end I'd be actually looking at really at the moment.

How fast is delivery time, with either company, anyone shed any light?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Was looking at a few rifles, this seems incredibly cheap - any opinions?

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong ... but does anyone else spot an issue with airsoftworld's ratings?

0.16j vs. 140m/s ? :confused:

140 m/s is welllll over 1j is it not? Or am I just having a bad day with numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

it's .16 J, 43m/s or 140fps :)

Honestly, low power and high build quality dont normally go together, if it's cheap, it's cheap.

Your best bet is probably to go to one of the stores and have a look in person and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

kdouglas wrote: »
    it's .16 J, 43m/s or 140fps :)

Honestly, low power and high build quality dont normally go together, if it's cheap, it's cheap.

Your best bet is probably to go to one of the stores and have a look in person and see what you think.

Ah yes ... misread that. Was just an aside point. And I'll agree with kdouglas here regarding quality.

Incidentally, anyone checked out the Real-Sword AKs? I'm not an AK fan, but I played around with one briefly (Type 56 'shorty' folding stock iirc?) at Berget 6. The vendor mentioned that they are apparently built in the same factory as the real-deal although he couldn't verify that - otherwise 1:1 and pretty much all metal and wood. Lovely weight to them. Not cheap though. Well .. around the €400 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

the first produxt you linked looks like a classic army sportline ak47
    Incidentally, anyone checked out the Real-Sword AKs? I'm not an AK fan, but I played around with one briefly at Berget 6. The vendor mentioned that they are apparently built in the same factory as the real-deal although he couldn't verify that

all i can say is excellent product, it is widely believed most of the metal work is made on the same machines/factory as the real thing ( again no one has been able to confirm his) but they are an excellent product with one of the best finishes you can get, the complete package will not be a let down, the only deviation from the real thing is that the pistol grip is slightly large than on the real thing, real sword even redesigned the v3 gearbox to fix in there correct receiver,

know real sword bring on the svd :)

P.S strange but the best smelling aeg I’ve ever come across

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoHunter

indeed kd is correct, the rifle goes at 140fps.

It is alright for garden plincking and messing about,

but I wouldn't use it in a skirmish...

your order has been tested and will be shipped today.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Thats 140fps or 43 m/s, its a toy for kids, and would be no good for the skirmish field, the average springer has more balls.

Start with at least the second choice!!
    Or save for the 3rd and that will at least last you a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think I might go for the Army AK from Eirsoft, and get the G&G one at a later date. Anyone here used the Army 47? All the reviews are pretty positive....

Think I'll just forget about the cheap ones on AirsoftIreland altogether.....I know I'd just regret it eventually so might as well pay for a somewhat decent one.

The thing I like about the Army AK is that the reviewers say it looks like the real deal even if it's light build, whereas I'd have my suspicions the 60 euro one would look cheap and plastic-y...

Can't really call into a shop, as I'm in Galway...

edit: Just to point out these will never be used in Skirmish, just target shooting and as props so the look is important, more so then the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theburi

I think it reads
    43 m/s or 140 fps or 0.16j - not sure if conversion is correct, I just can read.
    Lemming wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just reading this wrong ... but does anyone else spot an issue with airsoftworld's ratings?

0.16j vs. 140m/s ? :confused:

140 m/s is welllll over 1j is it not? Or am I just having a bad day with numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

even target shooting you'd want something semi decent, honestly 140fps is useless and the fact that it's so cheap the body is likely not great quality either, if you were to handle the two side by side you'd really see the difference in quality and weight.

you get what you pay for is what comes into play here, personally I'd go for this

http://www.airsoftworld.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=35

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's the same manufacturer but with some metal construction, I think I've decided on the Army AK from eirsoft which is more powerful, cheaper and got some solid reviews behind it, or if I can rustle a little cash together today, maybe the G&G full metal/wood 47....

Was just wondering if anyone had actually used one....I'm sure one of the reviewers most post here. :D

they are not made by the same company asg is the wholesaler and not a manfactorer, i believe the one just link could be the classic army might be good to email the shop

some options to consider are cyma also if you like the ak maybe an ak74 from dboys

Thanks for that. I've decided to just go for the G&G RK47. Read nothing but amazing things about it online so 299 seems a decent price.

Any recommendations on what charger and battery to get?

thanks everyone for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html < I always recommend them.

The charger is cheap, but has an auto-cut off and a discharge function, the batteries are great quality.

Thanks, but I think I'll be ordering from Eirsoft, as it's being ordered with a few other items and has to be here ASAP... What charger - the 4-8 cell or 4-10 cell, what's the difference aside from auto cut off etc? And battery wise - ASG or Firefox?

Thanks...

If you get the g&g ak, and it doesn't come with a charger, i'd say get the cheap 10€ charger, and order the component shop one, for the price they are great, 300-600 ma charge, auto cut off up to 10 cells, and discharge and auto charge when empty.
    That way you have a basic charger, and a better one on the way.

Get a nimh battery rather than a nicd, and the g&g ak can take a large type battery, ask the lads if it can hold the large 9.6v battery.

get the ASG battery, I've had a few firefox ones fail.

Or better still go with somthing that you know what cells make it up, or you could even get some battery packs made up with elite cells for a good price, i;ve seen to many people buy a great aeg and use rubbish batterys and chargers its like getting a porsh and putting a 1.4l fiester engine in it.

The OP says he is in a rush to get the batteries and charger with the aeg.

I'd recommend getting the basics now and a better charger and battery setup when he has more time to research it.

i know that the original post says i was only expressing a view you can be in a rush and still buy good batterys, i;ve seen far to many people rush out and buy the first thing they come across for example to replace it a few weeks later, i did it myself

• Advertisement

First aeg and patience don't go hand in hand :D

Edit: OP if you order from component shop now you will have the gear very soon.

Yeah I might get something off the CS after all. The plan was to get a better one anyway, but I guess I don't mind waiting a few days after getting the rifle to fire it. :(:) No Point paying double and then never using the initial one ever again.

I'll look through them, can you recommend a good charger and good battery but reasonably priced? Again, it won't be used for prolonged skirmish, just some shooting here and there - but of course, I'd prefer a quality one regardless. Looking at the universal charger for 12.99 sterling. Regarding it and the batteries - someone explain the lingo of cells, 300ma/600ma and so on, because I am absolutely clueless. I obviously recognise higher capacities, but regarding the charger, it had switches for 300ma/600ma, a variety of cells, and so on. For example, are all batteries compatiable with 300ma/600ma, or would using the wrong setting fry the battery? And so on. What should I be looking for in a battery and charger?

thanks again.

I have the 12.99 charger, its great, variable charge and discharge, auto cut off, auto charge when discharge is over.

Get that one, a 70€ charger just doesn't offer enough over that one to justify it.

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html

You want one of the large type batteries, 8.4 volt, a 9.6 may fit but you should confirm with eirsoft first.
    The higher the mah rating, the more energy the battery can store, price goes up accordingly.
    Depending on style of play, a 1400mah can last a day, 2200 longer again, etc.

Advertisement