Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it normal for Sky to...

Options
  • 16-07-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

...call you up and highlight certain offers they currently have on and when you agree, they proceed to ask you security questions? DOB, mothers maiden name, etc...

Feel a bit stupid now giving out that info considering they called me, but they did catch me on the hop!....should have asked for her number to call her back...

btw...the offer was all their movie and sports channels for half price until November....went for the sports option only!....will have to wait until August to see if they turn it on for the start of the premiership.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Just confirmed with Sky....it is normal practise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

AIB have done it to me as well. I always refuse to answer any of their questions regarding security. They usually say "fine" and just carry on regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That is crazy behaviour for a company in this day and age. Three mobile tried something like this with me a while ago and I gave out stink to them and refused all questions. Rang them back myself just to make sure they were legit. They were so I gave out some more and told em to feck off....idiots who think up these things. They are making it easier for conmen to get details from people when they run offers like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

MartyM wrote: »
    Just confirmed with Sky....it is normal practise!
    Then a call to Consumer Affairs is in order.

How is it possible to deal with phishing by advising people never to give details to unsolicited callers, then have big corporations do exactly that.

How can you guarantee that the call isn't bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If they call you, tell them nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

MartyM wrote: »
    Feel a bit stupid now giving out that info
    Without wishing to sound harsh, so you should! Not very wise, thankfully cold calling / social engineering phishing like that isn't common here, but it's probably not too far away, so be warned.

If they do ring you, in that context, explain you're not comfortable giving out that information and that you'll call them back. Call the main company number and ask the caller for a way to get directly in touch with them, or just ask to be transferred to them. Much safer.

Advertisement