Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I make my show like this in Google?

Options
  • 15-07-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

See attachment. I'm messing around with a small web-site atm. How can I get google to show it like boards shows up in the red box?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They're sitelinks, check this out...
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=47334
    Doesn't give any specific into on how to get them, but it's a starting point.
    Have you tried signing up to google webmaster tools and submitting a sitemap?
    It might be limited to very popular sites, I've only seen sitelinks on big sites personally... whether that's googles criteria or something the big well-developed sites know how to do, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

its something that happened depending on the popularity of your site.

You can't control it as far as I know ..

You can however remove the links you don't want appearing there though it seems rather strange (that it doesn't pick them up when I request removal ... though it may just take some time)

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

You should sign up for google webmasters, www.google.com/webmasters

It won't let you enable sitelinks but when Google start showing them for your site, you can control the content from the webmasters login.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Results for WoodenToys.ie come up like this. We're only PR2 right now but google has had our sitemap for quite a while (about a year).

Hope that helps - shows at least that you don't need to be that big :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Personally speaking I have only ever seen them for large websites, Webmasters have no control over them

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

unnameduser your wrong there!

Once Google has enabled the site links you do have control over them, via google.com/webmasters

minttea wrote: »
    unnameduser your wrong there!

Once Google has enabled the site links you do have control over them, via google.com/webmasters

Yes / No ... you can only disable / enable them you can't create new ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It is more likely to happen if you type in the site name.
    I think it happens if the top result scores very highly as a match for the search term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Ho long do Google Sitemaps normally take to be created?

I submitted for one about ten days or two weeks ago but it still hasn't been created. My website has been verified. When I log into Google Webmaster Tools I get the following message:
    "You have recently submitted one or more Sitemaps for this site. Processing Sitemaps may take some time. Check again later to see if pages from your Sitemaps are included in Google's index."

Would it not be better to get your own thread ?
    (they're going cheap these days) :D

To answer your question ... you've uploaded a sitemap.xml or similar file to your server which has your full sitemap in it ?

You've submitted this to google ? (through the webmaster tools?)

Normally it happens pretty quickly a day or two on any of my sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

forbairt wrote: »
    Would it not be better to get your own thread ?
    (they're going cheap these days) :D

To answer your question ... you've uploaded a sitemap.xml or similar file to your server which has your full sitemap in it ?

You've submitted this to google ? (through the webmaster tools?)

Normally it happens pretty quickly a day or two on any of my sites.

You folks looked pretty knowledgable on the subject!! I've done all this. The website's a pretty basic personal one. It was created using Blacknight's Zen Sitebuilder tool.

Advertisement