Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geographical Location

Options
  • 15-07-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I know I might be skating a thin line re a hosting related question but can someone confirm if I have a .ie domain name but it is hosted in America, will the site not come up when Google say uses a Search within Ireland. Would the Google treat it as another .com etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

if it's .ie it will be treated as Irish.

if it's a .com on an Irish host it will be treated as Irish.

if it's a .com on a host elsewhere, it will not be treated as Irish.

(lot's of posts on this subject recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Thanks Goodshape. That cleared it up. I apologise if it has come up before. my search keywords must have been off. Thank again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

if it's a .com on a host elsewhere, it will not be treated as Irish.

I find this with some sites and not others.

For example, I have a single page .com site hosted in US and comes up 4th on google.ie for pages from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Strange. I couldn't claim to be an expert on the subject but i didn't think that happened.

Though i believe it's possible to manually define your geolocation using googles webmaster tools. And possibly they take other things into account (linked to from an ireland only directory maybe?).

I've never had to worry much about it tbh. All my sites are hosted in Ireland, and most are .ie too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

In case of interest, I've actually PM'd you the site which is a single page (which you will obviously see I made myself:D)

I only submitted site to google, that's all.

Find it strange myself as I know of other sites that act in way suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

There is also an option to set your geographical location via google webmasters....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

minttea wrote: »
    There is also an option to set your geographical location via google webmasters....

+1

Aye - that should sort any issues you have OP

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Thanks for that guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

.ie domains will always be treated as Irish websites.
    Also you can go to google webmaster tools, verify that you own the website and tell google what country your site is aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

conorod wrote: »
    Also you can go to google webmaster tools, verify that you own the website and tell google what country your site is aimed at.
    Nope. That function is only available for gTLD. .ie or any other ccTLD will not have that option available.

@Andrea B. - I'd be very interested to see that .com. Would you mind PM'ing me your URL? Thanks in advance.

Rgds
    Richard

• Advertisement
Advertisement