Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricks/Shortcuts with Sky+

Options
  • 15-07-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got Sky+ in, and i'm liking it.

I just want to know it inside out so are there any shortcuts or things you can do with it thats not in the manual etc?

also, is there a way of receording channels in the other channels section?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

is there a way of receording channels in the other channels section?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Hi,

I just got Sky+ in, and i'm liking it.

I just want to know it inside out so are there any shortcuts or things you can do with it thats not in the manual etc?

also, is there a way of receording channels in the other channels section?

Possibly, but not practicle & not recording on the Sky+ box.
    If you have a seperate PVR, Run the Output of the Sky+ to the input of the PVR & record the channels on the PVR while you're watching the other channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

shinobi wrote: »
    Possibly, but not practicle & not recording on the Sky+ box.
    If you have a seperate PVR, Run the Output of the Sky+ to the input of the PVR & record the channels on the PVR while you're watching the other channel.

The Sky+ and Sky HD only have one video out, though they have two tuners. So you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Cagier

Agreed Watty, (that you can't record two different things at the same time) but saying the boxes have "one video out" might be a bit misleading...

Sky and Sky+ boxes have two SCART connections and 2 RF Outputs so any of these 4 can be used for recording to a Video recorder, DVD recorder, PVR, PMP, etc. The Sky boxes have an "auto on" feature which will trigger compatible VCRs to automatically start recording but this doesn't work for "other channels" so with both types you'd have to leave the box switched to that channel (and probably have auto-standby switched off). However, some units (like the Archos) can control the sky box through it's remote transmitter so there are other options there.

Finally, with tuners that do only have one output, many recording devices have a SCART IN and SCART OUT and/or RF IN and RF OUT for passing the signal through to the TV anyway.

On the OP's point, it is a real real pain that you cannot record channels that are not on the Irish EPG. I use my standalone SKY box as a FTV box with the UK EPG and have it linked to my DVD recorder for this reason. However, I am holding out for the Freesat PVR whenever that will be available and may even dump a Sky+/multiroom subscription at that stage! :cool:

Advertisement