Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Coolant Question - Please HELP!

Options
  • 15-07-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a red temperature light flash and beep in my 98 A3 the other day, so I checked the coolant level yesterday morning and it seemed drastically low.. I checked pipes and connections and there doesn't seem to be any leaks (the fact that it was so low was a bit weird I thought.) Any suggestions as to why it was so low??

I just went out to check it again a few minutes ago and checked the piping for leaks and there doesn't seem to be any. I revved the engine, then looked in the bottle again and it seemed to have this froth on the top (like a latte). Is this normal??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭blackbox

Oh dear! :eek:

It appears that oil may be getting into the coolant, possibly due to a head gasket failure.

It sounds like a visit to your mechanic is called for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

The top hose from the engine to the block should be fairly supple, if it's hard then it building pressure due to air entering the cooling system. If you also get bubbling in the expansion tank then it looks like the head gasket is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

Bol*x! what kind of cost am i lookng at to replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Fill it back up with coolant to the max mark and leave it run for a while. If its gone down below the mark is a space of time well then there could be a leak.
    remember water/coolant = 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

blackbox wrote: »
    Oh dear! :eek:

It appears that oil may be getting into the coolant, possibly due to a head gasket failure.

It sounds like a visit to your mechanic is called for.

Agreed - but (hopefully) it might not be a head gasket......oil coolers give trouble on VW Group engines. Have it looked at ASAP.

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    remember water/coolant = 50/50.

Good advice, but personally I wouldn't waste coolant. I'd just use water until the fault is verified. If no fault is found (which I doubt given the symptoms) or if repairs go ahead, then I'd put coolant in. But I wouldn't refill with coolant just yet as it will most likely end up being drained and disposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

crosstownk wrote: »
    Good advice, but personally I wouldn't waste coolant. I'd just use water until the fault is verified. If no fault is found (which I doubt given the symptoms) or if repairs go ahead, then I'd put coolant in. But I wouldn't refill with coolant just yet as it will most likely end up being drained and disposed.
    Yeah your right, I should have said that:o
    So OP do that, fill it up with water and leave it run for a while, the level will drop down after a few minutes but thats normal, just bring it back up the max mark and leave it run for a while, take it on a drive, what ever. If theres a serious drop in the level well then have a look at it by a mechanic;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

thanks for the advice guys. Ive been monitoring it ever since I put the new coolant in. It hasn't gone down again but after driving there's always a froth on the top. haven't had time to bring it to a mechanic yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

thanks for the advice guys. Ive been monitoring it ever since I put the new coolant in. It hasn't gone down again but after driving there's always a froth on the top. haven't had time to bring it to a mechanic yet..

Sounds like the head gasket needs doin. Get it done sooner rather than later.

bbability wrote: »
    Sounds like the head gasket needs doin. Get it done sooner rather than later.

Don't rule out a faulty oil cooler before condemning the head gasket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement