Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the wrong job

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I got a job 18 months ago that was supposed to be a move away from a customer facing role to something else.

After all this time, and the promise that soon, I'd be moved to the kind of work I want to do, I'm still here dealing with people and fixing stupid problems. There's nothing wrong with this, but I've been there and done that, and I want to move in a different direction.

The boss uses this as the carrot to keep me going and it's really bothering me now. I've told him countless times that this isn't where I want to be. Now, after all this time my career is still going in the wrong direction and if I leave, I have no relevant experience.

What should I do about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

lay your cards on the table for your boss. your not happy, he has said he would help you get the position you want, but has yet to deliver. let him know your not happy. if your valued where you are, he will help you to work toward your desired area. if he says you will defo get to your desired job,ask for a definitive time frame, say 6 months or a year, whatever seems reasonable in your field.

If he hasnt delivered by then, take the initiate and get a better job. you say you have no relevant experience, but you will have enough to get a job in a company where you can work up to your preferred role. besides, better start again in a new company than waste another year in your current company going nowhere.
    just make sure to get it in writing that they will help you get to where you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wrong_job wrote: »
    18 month

<snip>

carrot
    Fair balls for chewing an 18 month old carrot! I think both you and I both know that if you haven't gotten anywhere after 18 months, you need to look into jumping ship.

Advertisement