Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuss over shemags

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

right this is an intresting one from the uk apparently religious leaders in the islamic community are calling skirmishers racist for the way some site's are using the shemags to determin teams instead of arm bands ,so how long before we start hearing similar here with the ever increasing airsoft community,here's the article

Muslim leaders in Britain are outraged about a new game that calls for camouflaged players to shoot BBs at "enemy" players dressed in traditional Arab headdresses, or shemaghs.

The game's creators, however, say using the shemaghs is the "easiest way to tell who the enemy are," according to a report in the London Daily Mail.

"Any sort of game that associates guns and violence with a particular culture is clearly wrong," said Mokhtar Badri, executive member of the Muslim Association of Britain.

"They could use any other type of color or dress to tell between teams which would not cause offense," Badri is quoted in the Mail.

The Zulu-1 Tactical Airsoft Simulations game’s founders, Peter Jenkins, 41, and Darren Howells, 42, deny that using shemaghs is racist.

"We simply use the shemaghs to differentiate between teams," Jenkins is quoted in the newspaper. "Just because some terrorists decide to wear them doesn't make it racist."

Airsoft participants dress in camouflage or shemaghs and use replica machine guns, pistols and sniper rifles that fire 6 mm BBs at their opponents. The game is held at a former Royal Air Force hospital on 20 acres of land in Nocton, Lincs, England, and enthusiasts say it is safer than paintball.

More than 40 people have signed up for the game, which is expected to pit 120 players against each other over woodland, trenches and empty buildings.

According to the Zulu-1 Web site, the game is open to anyone over 16 and participants first must attend a health and safety briefing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

ah for the love o jaysus, can we not have our fun without some preacher spoiling it were racist no matter what we wear some one always takes offence, feck them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

i can just see it now legal advice being sought over team and personal loadouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

fuss over shemags -isn't this old news? I'm almost sure I seen it posted either here or Arnies about a month or so ago.

But all the same it's the usual clap-trap from a minority group that have a loud mouth/voice.

A large majority of skirmishers have a shemag (I would guess) as its almost standard issue basic kit - goggles/face mask, AR15 type (usually a M4) or maybe a G36 (if you're some sort of commie type :p), and a shemag! It's cooler than a hat, its camo(ish), and they look kool and the gang roysh.

Anyway its the Daily Mail so its ultimately sensationalist junk and allows some minority to moan.

America Beeb yeah! Coming again to save the Beeb Beeb day yeah!
    America Beeb yeah! Freedom is the only way yeah! :pac:

And remember its not a report button its the button that makes Tom Cruise and John Travolta appear in you house to convert you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

balh.... balh.....balh..... some ones always going to winge about somethimg or other? its too hot ,its cold,thats not fair, you cant do that........ yada yada yada. for Gods sake
    at the end of the day its only a coulered bit of cloth/rag. how can somthing so petty YES PETTY cause so much crap!! airsoft* is about haveing fun, why work yourself if i wanna dress up with a shemagh....!!!???
    i bet if i wore a kilt even if im not scottish the scot's wont care..!!

aaaaaaaaAAARGH stuff like this drives me nuts. Rant Over!:D

*(my version anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

this seems like very old news, first time i heard this was when then the pictures of airsofts standing over people dressed as 'terrorists' on the floor, can recall when they where in a British paper, few months old and never heard anything again after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

America Beeb yeah! Coming again to save the Beeb Beeb day yeah!
    America Beeb yeah! Freedom is the only way yeah! :pac:

And remember its not a report button its the button that makes Tom Cruise and John Travolta appear in you house to convert you!
    Lay off the sugar lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Puding wrote: »
    this seems like very old news, first time i heard this was when then the pictures of airsofts standing over people dressed as 'terrorists' on the floor, can recall when they where in a British paper, few months old and never heard anything again after that

Exactly this is extremely old news.
    Gatling whats the source of your quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

I think the Shemagh they are getting all fussed about are the red/white, blue/white, black/white combos.

Not the Olive/Black ones that are common throughout armed forces the world over.

I doubt anyone would ever get upset about one of those. It's non-factional after all.

That said, I don't believe one minute that "they just use them to differentiate teams" with absolutely no intentions of having one team being "bad-guys wearing shemaghs" and one team being "good guys that just happen not to be wearing shemaghs". Unless of course EVERYONE is wearing a shemagh, in which case, it's kind of a novel way of splitting up teams without the use of armbands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

eek. Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

eah this is an old thing that i also remember reading a while ago.

with most of these groups, they have loudmouth members who go around looking for something to have a moan about to get themselves in the news.

its utter tripe, anyway the uk is on a mad PC buzz at the moment, only recently i read whilst i was away an english young lad was pulled over by police for having an english flag in his car, and police told him it was offensive to other cultures and his flag was taken away or he would have to pay a fine.

now i have to say im in a really bad mood after last night, as the house across from me, filled with eastern european nationals, were partying till 3am then had a massive brawl on the street breaking glass etc.

im in no way a racist or anything, but ive strong beliefs in this area where these groups come up with this sort of crap...

ill leave it at that incase i get banned tbh...but id know where to tell them to go , airsoft is a game

i dont see their group coming out condoning the stonings of females you see plastered over the web, by muslims..

they talk out when it suits them, ****em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

In addition to being an old story warmed over, it sounds like the Daily Heil may have suckered the game organisers into saying something a bit naive. Nothing new there.

Ho hum. Move along, nothing to see. Talking about these right-wing papers only gives them more Oxygen of Publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Notice how they didn't mention that in 50% of the games, the Good guys are the ones wearing the shemaghs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Screw it.
    I'm buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

the red and white ones look cool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

My granny has one spread over the table in her kitchen....is she racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

My granny has one spread over the table in her kitchen....is she racist?

Yes, just think what happened to the guy who was wearing it before she got it! :pac:

Is your granny a 'Top Gun Actor' by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes, just think what happened to the guy who was wearing it before she got it! :pac:

Is your granny a 'Top Gun Actor' by any chance?

Actress actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

I'd ignore it if i was honest with you. Racism is a many faceted animal and can be turned on its head and used against anyone. e.g. we could say the clerics were racist as they didnt want non believers to use their traditional head garb.

At this rate Russian camo should be banned as it offends eastern europeans who were subjugated to communist rule for the better part of a century. American camo should be banned as they've offended just about everyone. Brit DPM should be banned as they subjugated our country. etc. etc etc. its bad enough that there is a consensus that bans the use of the Waffen S.S. camoflauge due to public perception and other sensibilities (no i'm not neo nazi/facist or even white supremacist) But this is not up for debate as this is seemingly a general consensus of this board. if we listened to every malcontent we'd be bollock naked standing in fields using inner barrels as blow pipes because guns are bad mmmmkay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

why people bother with these kinda threads baffles me, its about prejudice and not airsoft, also there has been no issue or complaint about any case relating to airsoft in ireland so it doesnt have anything to do with us, theres a million and one different things that could be quoted from some sensationalist newspaper and applied loosely to airsoft.,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Well said Richie, i've been watching this thread develop all day and every time I look at it I think how pointless it is, there is no fuss over shemags in this country, there was some minor fuss in the uk recently, but it was the same non-issue there as it is here, despite their slightly larger population of ethnic minorities.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement