Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st 4X4

Options
  • 15-07-2008 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm considering getting a 2nd hand 4X4 mainly for transporting dogs to shows this will include driving through mucky fields, a bit of farm work mainly for boot space and driving through fields, min pulling.

I've a tiny budget 2-3k could anyone recommend a 4x4 with good boot space and can carry 4 people.

I preferably prefer a land rover, but what ever i can afford at the end of the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At 2-3 k it won't be easy to find a good one. This is the price region where you'll find a lot of tired soldiers with war wounds, so look and and inspect carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

That kind of budget won't get anything really worthwhile, 4 - 5k opens up more chance of getting a good 'un.

For 4 people and dogs I would definately recommend a double cab pickup. Dirt cheap road tax and the dogs are not 'inside' so wont destroy the interior. Ifor Williams do canopys with mesh rear doors for doublecabs that would be perfect for dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Really I'm looking for a 2nd vehicle nothing fancy that can drive through a mucky field on a country show and has room for family and dogs but at the same time must be reliable.

double cab pickup is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Daihatsu Sportrak?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a 2nd hand 4X4 mainly for transporting dogs to shows this will include driving through mucky fields, a bit of farm work mainly for boot space and driving through fields, min pulling.

I've a tiny budget 2-3k could anyone recommend a 4x4 with good boot space and can carry 4 people.

I preferably prefer a land rover, but what ever i can afford at the end of the day
    You would get 92-93 pajero for that money. I have heard a lot of horror stories about them 20 mpg with very good driving is one. Jeep cherokee is another one 20 mpg + lots of horror stories. Maybe a nissan terano might suit your budget better milage and less horror stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i would go either trooper
    but unless you want to pay big tax the 2 seater version only

i'm a hilux man and have a crewcab pickup
    go for the 2.4turbo model at minimum not the straight diesel
    you can wash out the back when the dogs are all messy and the mountaintop lids are a great idea as they lock the back so no thieving hands get in
    they are considered commercial for tax purposes

earlier models are hard enough to find in crewcab as they weren't introduced here for ages but the english,australian and japanese imports found their way over from the island and across the pond

there are good clubs out there if you buy and that'll make repairs and info/parts easier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the only horror stories you'll hear about the older pajero's are the fuel economy ones.

that said the 2.5 isn't too bad, you'll get 25mpg out of a well maintained one as long as you're not thrashing it.

the 2.8L ones are significantly more thirsty, but you might want the extra oomph you get out of the 2.8 as the 2.5's were a bit gutless. expect no more than 20mpg from a 2.8L one and not a drop more, even if you are careful.

BUT, with the LWB model you get a very capable off-roader with 7 seats or 5 seats plus plenty of dog room and as long as you look after it it'll last forever with minimal maintenance. :)

the trooper on the other hand is something I've heard a huge amount of horror stories about. :(

maybe a landcruiser might do you well too, they're another good unstoppable beast that might suit your needs.

I've got a 96 LWB 2.8L Pajero running happily on biodiesel at €1.05 per litre so I'm happy enough with mine, even tho it's a little thirsty it's not too expensive to run, which was something I looked into before i bought it. you can run them on just about anything! :)

anyway, I'll recommend a paj, and someone with a trooper will probably recommend one of those, and a land rover driver will recommend one of them etc. etc.

my best advise would be not to rush into it and try before you buy, do a few test drives, visit a few different forums and see how you go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated

to the op

what part of the country are you in?
    it might make it easier to direct you to a few for sale here and there and you can see what you want

my advice go to a 4x4 dealer on a saturday and take 2 different vehicles for a test drive

go to another and take 2 more

see which one you like and then go looking privately

how cheap do you want,do you want one with a few jobs to be done to it
    you can buy a commercial cheap and if you are going shooting or hunting off road you can throw seats in the back

if on the road you need the proper seats and belts model

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Get a lwb passanger 4x4 from the first half of the 1990's, preferably a jap import but if not at least jap built. They come cheap because anybody buying a 7 seat 4x4 to carry around a family will not buy one that is that old, but passenger jeeps are better minded than commercials and have a better spec level.

I did this myself, bought a 93' pajero 7 seat jap import with all the extras. Got it within your budget and then converted it to commercial to suit my needs. Now I have a well minded, top spec, low milage pajero, that has all the benefits of a commercial.

Don't be put off by an older machine. I HATE people that judge how good a vehicle is by its age. Just because something is old doesn't mean its rubbish, clueless people just think that. On the plus side this means that they're bargins to be had as older ones are harder to sell. But buy a quality make.

• Advertisement

i second that

100,000 miles means nothing to me
    and since we moved to kilometres,people panic at 100,000 km which is great

i buy only older stuff 1990's on as the technology isn't as complicated as the new stuff

Advertisement