Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

postgrad and co.co. grant.

Options
  • 14-07-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

probably a pointless thread but out of curiousity do postgrads get anything extra on the grant,since a year for them lasts longer than undergrads?or is that up to the postgrad how long it takes to finish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Nope, postgrads don't get anything extra. They can get their fees paid by the local authority however, which I don't think undergrads can (because an undergrad who has to pay fees, because they are repeating, is ineligible for the grant).

Well, if you do an undergrad they'll pay what fees you'd normally have to pay, such as the Reg. Fee.

The max amount the Council will pay for fees per year is (I think) €6,110 (for 2007/8).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

well they paid my fees at undergrad level...i'm hoping to get the top up this year but just wanted to check.thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NY152

Anyone know the deadline for grant applications??

/me points at Edu-wide announcement.

29th August 2008, although it is at the Council/VEC's discretion to allow applications post this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Does anyone know how and when they let people know if their grant application was successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

every county council works at a different rate, i know some particular counties who are very bad and students end up waiting several months for confirmation or even receiving the cheques. My county, Cavan, were quick enough to confirm that i got the grant but i was bullying them by phonecall for two weeks because my university required it. they told me i had it but not to quote them, as an officer had to sign the final confirmation. it was a worrying time as I doubt i would have been able to afford my masters without taking on a job, but i was lucky to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Surely they'd have to let people know if they've been accepted before college fees are to be paid. The main reason I applied was to have my fees covered.
    KyleBovine wrote: »
    every county council works at a different rate, i know some particular counties who are very bad and students end up waiting several months for confirmation or even receiving the cheques. My county, Cavan, were quick enough to confirm that i got the grant but i was bullying them by phonecall for two weeks because my university required it. they told me i had it but not to quote them, as an officer had to sign the final confirmation. it was a worrying time as I doubt i would have been able to afford my masters without taking on a job, but i was lucky to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

Actually no. One of my classmates had to wait a few months for her county council to confirm she got the grant, despite the fact that she met the deadline for application. The backlog for her county meant that she could only provisionally register for our course until she got confirmation in late november. she paid the fees and then they were refunded, but that initial payment of approx 2,000euro still had to be made.

Advertisement