Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CELT Courses [Bushcraft]

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I did a Celt course this weekend. It a hippy meet up that takes place about once every 2 months in east Clare.

The list of courses they ran this time is here.

The ones that seem vaguely bushcraft related to me are

Herblore - The Magic of Plants : More medicine related then food related but learning to identify plants probably has skills that carry over

Bow Making: These guys made some really beautiful bows. I do not know if this is a practical bushcraft skill as it takes a lot of time and a fair amount of equipment. It did look fun though

Basket weaving: The man giving this course showed me his eel trap. He says he could make up an eel trap in about two hours. A blackbird trap could be made in less time (I am not suggesting you eat blackbirds)

The place and ethos is fairly hippy but it is not annoyingly so. The cost of the weekend was 150 euro but seeing as that included camping and access to cheap food that is pretty cheap. This is not exactly a bushcraft thread but thought I would point CELT out in case anyone can learn something useful there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

ya, i have heard good things about CELT. bow making is relevent to bushcraft, and the only thing you "need" is a knife and knowledge of wood. you can also quite easily make indian stars (wood version of the throwing stars. good for rabbits) or an atlatl.
    some tuts on them here; http://www.primitiveways.com/index.html
    anything you can do in and around a bushcamp is bushcraft. glad you had a good time at CELT.

Advertisement