Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Luas

Options
  • 14-07-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Walking past the Luas line today it hit me how annoying it must be to live beside the luas tracks. Especially when the luas makes a tight turn.

The luas is such a nice looking and useful form of transport but where the track turns hard left or right the sound of grinding and screeching from the carriage is unbearable. I don't remember being in other countries where their overground form of transport was so loud.

Is this a problem which can be fixed or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i've been on trams and undergrounds in other countries and they have all screeched going round corners - you don't get the same noise from heavy rail systems like the Dart because they don't have such tight bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

The Trams in Budapest make a much louder noise. Same for Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TBH it's bare metal rubbing against bare metal, it's rarely going to be quite. The only peace is when it rains then they are nearly silent.

I'd imagine it's the same as living beside an airport/train station etc you get used to it and never hear it, where as visitors will be going mad with the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When they build new roads or railways they agree certain noise levels with the residents and the applicant will be required to pay for soundproofing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If built right there should be no extra noise but becuase they arent built right and from genearl wear and tear it just gets worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

the trams in istanbul are incredibly noisy, and there brand spanking new. the roads are also caving in beside the tracks for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Yesterdays Irish Times has an article about a couple in Ranelagh suing the RPA & Veoila over the noise from 330 trams per day passing their house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BendiBus wrote: »
    Yesterdays Irish Times has an article about a couple in Ranelagh suing the RPA & Veoila over the noise from 330 trams per day passing their house.

Does it mention their address? I can offer to swap houses with them.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=4434

I've a link there showing the length of the gardens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah i read that article too. If they win it could open the floodgates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Victor wrote: »

I've a link there showing the length of the gardens.

They must camp at the end of their garden? :D

Agree with Faceman. If the claim is successful with a garden of that length, can you imagine some of the other claims where houses are far closer to the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

I was in Bremen in Germany. They have an extensive tram network (almost every street you go down, there is a tram) and they made hardly any noise at all. You don't even notice that they are there. I'm dead serious. They're almost silent. :eek: There is no noise inside of them either, which is nice. You tend to get off the Luas with blood pouring from your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Ckal wrote: »
    You tend to get off the Luas with blood pouring from your ears.

You should see a doctor about that urgently.

I use the Green line 10-12 times a week and apart from some squealing between Charlemont and Harcourt, it's relatively quiet given the speeds involved. What little onstreet track exists the tram is a lot slower and a lot quieter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was in Bremen in Germany. They have an extensive tram network (almost every street you go down, there is a tram) and they made hardly any noise at all. You don't even notice that they are there. I'm dead serious. They're almost silent. :eek: There is no noise inside of them either, which is nice. You tend to get off the Luas with blood pouring from your ears.

Germany has very strict noise laws. Thats why German beer kegs are surrounded in rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

Peter B wrote: »
    Walking past the Luas line today it hit me how annoying it must be to live beside the luas tracks. Especially when the luas makes a tight turn.

The luas is such a nice looking and useful form of transport but where the track turns hard left or right the sound of grinding and screeching from the carriage is unbearable. I don't remember being in other countries where their overground form of transport was so loud.

Is this a problem which can be fixed or not?

large metal machine in noise-making shocker!!
    seriously - you're annoyed that it makes noise?
    whether it can be fixed or not is irrelevant - it's not a problem...
    would you rather we spend god knows how much on trying to appease you and your super-sensitive ears or could the money such a frivolous complaint could cost not be used more productively..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

The idea that anyone would sue because of noise is ridiculous. It's not even a 24 hour service, so there's no problem with noise at night like there might be in other cities, and it really isn't that loud. I live next to a DART track and I barely even notice it. You don't live in a capital city and expect peace and quiet at all times. People moan that there's no public transport and when we finally get a decent, regular service, they moan about the noise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My brothers flat is near a luas line. Runs right behind his house. Its almost whisper quiet when your inside and its an old house in Ranelagh.

It annoyed me a little at night when I was trying to sleep but whenever I said that fooking noise, he just said what noise because he got so used to it he didn't even hear it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

brim4brim wrote: »
    It annoyed me a little at night when I was trying to sleep but whenever I said that fooking noise, he just said what noise because he got so used to it he didn't even hear it anymore.

+1
    Used to live beside a main rail line and I didn't even know they ran trains at night. The freight trains used to wake me up at night but after a few weeks you adjust and don't even notice.

If you walk through East Wall, you'll notice they put sound barriers along the line when they opened the Docklands station. It doesn't go for entire route but they are very noticeable.
    Maybe this will solve their issue with the Luas but they are going to expect their legal costs to be paid too and if they are awarded costs, then will everyone along the Green line put in a claim?

I believe the wheels have a rubber ring between the steel "tyre" and the main hub, they also tried the same technology on high speed trains with disasterous results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschede_train_disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Thelikefaneire

This is a joke.

I know that area well and have spent time in a friends flat far closer to the line than those house's and all you here is a woosh. And its only every few minutes, mainly north bound tram's make the most noise as they have been accelerating for longer from Ranelagh.;)

Im ashamed to say it, but those people are just snobs:rolleyes:

Not as bad as that little park in that area that a developer was trying to use as a car park, that was just shocking:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement