Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sky EPG

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

So what does everyone think of it? Its a huge improvement in my opinion.
    Since the EPG will be cached in the Hard Drive it frees up the tuner allowing for 2 things:
    1)Picture-in-picture view of a channel when you hover over it in the guide.
    2)the ability to get information of a program from a channel you aren't watching

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8729/anytimevv0.jpg

:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

My EPG hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This is still in trials I believe (open to correction). Also is it just for sky HD or will sky+ boxes get it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Presumably bog-standard boxes won't get this at all? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So what does everyone think of it? Its a huge improvement in my opinion.
    Is it a bit premature asking this? I'll let you know if and when I receive it and after I have tried it out for a few days at least. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i think it is only for sky hd and sky+ boxes with the larger hard drive (from reading digital spy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,815 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

last I read it was only SkyHD but that was a while ago - if they do roll it out to recent + boxes that'd be great.

It'd also be great if they fixed the bloody Copy-Letterbox bug at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Supposedly its going for Sky HD boxes this Autumn and then Sky+ boxes (V3) afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

My uncle works for Sky and got a hold of it early to show me. Its out in August for Sky HD boxes.
    No plans for standard boxes for a few reasons. Mainly being the fact that the new HD depends on the 140GB of system space which standard boxes don't have. Each Sky HD and Sky+ box have 320GB of space but only 180GB is usable. The other 140GB is used for Sky Anytime but they will be opening it up to EPG caching

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

My uncle works for Sky and got a hold of it early to show me. Its out in August for Sky HD boxes.

So why are you asking what everyone thinks of it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Well there's videos out and pictures :) Its enough to help you make your mind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Looks pretty nice to me....hope it does something to stop the constant freezing problems with the sky+ boxes if and when it is released ..

From what I heard they initially decided to roll it out to Sky+ PVR3 boxes but then canned those plans so it'll be for SkyHD only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

/\ ah fudge.

I saw the promo on SKY News there a while back and the planner had a better search feature whereby you typed the whole name of the show/movie instead of just the stupid first letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Have they finally allowed you to hide/dump the rubbish/irrelevant/unsubscribed channels and add "others" in a meaningful way instead of "other services" ?

That'd be the #1 improvement in my book, although the search is a good idea as well, because all the rubbish channels appear in the alphabetical listing, making it miles long and pointless....

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Have they finally allowed you to hide/dump the rubbish/irrelevant/unsubscribed channels and add "others" in a meaningful way instead of "other services" ?

That'd be the #1 improvement in my book, although the search is a good idea as well, because all the rubbish channels appear in the alphabetical listing, making it miles long and pointless....

Never gonna happen. Stations payed mega money to be listed on EPG so they ain't gonna allow you to hide them.

ongarite wrote: »
    Never gonna happen. Stations payed mega money to be listed on EPG so they ain't gonna allow you to hide them.

Yeah, I know - it was just wishful thinking; that facility alone might even be enough to make me upgrade from the standard box....

God knows why stations like God TV, Wedding TV, Gay TV, Baby TV, Unsexiest-Women-Ever Writhing-On-A-Couch TV, etc are deluded into thinking that just because they're on an EPG will make me watch them.... :rolleyes:

Ah, well.....consumer-focussed is definitely not on Sky's agenda, so I guess I'll just have to put up with scrolling through the crap..... :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm pretty sure Sky have little control over who can join their EPG, it's up to Ofcom, the UK regulator. Sky can only remove them if they don't keep up payments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Favorites does allow an EPG with only what you want up to 50.
    Guide then blue/purple button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

watty wrote: »

This is what I do and would recommend. I have all my favourite stations saved as favourites and only browse the EPG using blue button.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »

....but the "Other Channels" can't be added to it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Are we any closer to an official date for this new EPG being rolled out ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The last word from Sky was that it would launch in September, but they said that a couple of months ago and never gave anything more specific than that.

I read on another forum however that there may be more details from sky in the upcoming Sky Mag about it.

Advertisement