Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your biggest Arcade to Home conversion disappointments?

Options
  • 13-07-2008 10:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well what was yours? Yes the game you pumped coins into in the arcade then found it had been ported to your C64 in the most shoddy way possible...

The two that stand out for me are the conversion of SF2 to the Amiga because it could have been so much better had they put the effort in. Secondly the conversion of The New Zealand story to the c64 minus all the warps. I know it was because the tape was multi load but it was the fact that the warps made up such a large portion of the gameplay!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,114 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had a C64 for far far too long so I well know the pains of dreadful conversions which I bought despite bad reviews. SF2 on the C64 was horrendous. The manual gave the moves from the arcade machine but none of them worked. I finished it first time on the hardest difficulty setting and it look horrendous, nothing like the original.

I also got Mercs, loved the arcade game and eventually 1 credited it but the C64 conversion was absolutely woeful.

UN squardron was particularly bad. All the bosses fired three bullets, one straight and the other two diagonally up and down. If you positioned yourself just right you could avoid getting shot and return damage. All the levels bar the last one and the cave level could be beaten by staying in the bottom right hand corner and firing until the boss.

There's more just not off the top of my head right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I had a C64 for far far too long so I well know the pains of dreadful conversions which I bought despite bad reviews. SF2 on the C64 was horrendous. The manual gave the moves from the arcade machine but none of them worked. I finished it first time on the hardest difficulty setting and it look horrendous, nothing like the original.

Oh yeah, SF2 on the C64 HAS to be up there with the top 3 worst conversions. Along with double dragon for the Atari 2600. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Ghosts n' Goblins on the Commodore 16. Basically it only had 2 levels with a load between each (which didn't really matter as I couldn't pass level 1).

Ikari Warrior on the C16 was also terrible. Last guy just stood there, you couldn't get past him at all.

Double Dragon on the C64 has to rank as one of the worst arcade conversions ever. Totally rubbish.

We're spolied these days with home ports that actually exceed their arace counterparts!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

. Along with double dragon for the Atari 2600. Ouch.
    Eh?
    Al things consided thats not a bad port
    bearing in mind that its on a system that should have no hope of running it.
    Also it's 2 player as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0-t0X8ZTk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

SF2 on any 8-bit is probably the king of this, but Vigilante on the C64 was an astoundingly bad game in it's own right, and was almost unrecognisable as its arcade parent. I can't really call it a disappointment, as I was never a big fan of the original, but if I had been I probably would have flung the machine ouut a window in protest.
    Captain Commando on the SNES was a pretty big disappointment, though. It looked fine, but it was slower and far less crowded than the original, turning one of my favourite arcade games into something that was, if not overly awful, just frustratingly dull.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,114 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fight on the SNES was pretty bad as well. Loads of slow down and no 2 player. Sega really pulled a fast one with the superior Streets of Rage.

Alien vs. Predator on the SNES was another piece of ****. The arcade game is probably the best 2D side scrolling beat'em up ever imo but the SNES conversion was a piss poor game. It probably didn't count as a conversion since it's a little different but with AvsP the biggest arcade game that year and a huge money spinner for capcom, I think they knew what they were doing. An unusually poor title from the mighty capcom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Worst port for me was Pacman on the 2600, dear gods it was pitiful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I think all of the CPS ports to the Snes were poor. With obvious exceptions like Street figher 2. They dropped Guy in Final fight and took out the 2 player option ffs! I have to say I really enjoyed the c64 version of FF. A faithful conversion given the limitations of the system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'll go for Ghost and Goblins, Street Fighter and Double Dragon, the best has to have been Wonder Boy

I had an Amstrad btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

SF2 on Atari ST and C64.

Both made me cry in disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Outrun on the C64 was muck. My childhood was ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Chase HQ in the arcade was absolutely f@cking brilliant,
    Chase HQ on my zx spectrum was absolutely f@cking terrible.

I had such a miserable face on me after it loaded for the first
    time. I can even recall shedding tears over it.

Cisco Heat in the Arcade was so cool too
    Cisco Heat on my spectrum was just viciously bad.

OutRun was another arcade favourite but I did not
    make the same mistake buying it for my spectrum as
    I heard it was deviously crappy (and rightly so it was).

mondeo wrote: »
    Chase HQ in the arcade was absolutely f@cking brilliant,
    Chase HQ on my zx spectrum was absolutely f@cking terrible.

Looks like Ocean software bought the farewell drinks at there closing down bash:D
    The ZX Spectrum version was voted number 1 in the Your Sinclair Readers' Top 100 Games of All Time in their final issue, September 1993.
    From Wikipedia.org

I thought the amiga version was ok then again I bought the hitsquad budget release and didnt feal bad parting with 3.99....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Anything done by Teirtex. That includes the godawful SF2 port.

Anything done by Teirtex. That includes the godawful SF2 port.

Completely agree with one exception... Strider on the Mega drive, it was a damn good conversion for the time. Other then that Tiertex and most of the stuff coming out of U.S Gold has been a load of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dabula

SF2 was really Awfull, it was so slow that I could trow a punch, took some cof, look at chun-lee's underwear before I could hit my opp!

It is beyond me why their was a SF2 conversion for the commodore....
    I seen the Amiga version and it was very poor, I cannot imagine how bad
    th C64 version was. Jesus I dont want to know :D

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

mondeo wrote: »
    It is beyond me why their was a SF2 conversion for the commodore....
    I seen the Amiga version and it was very poor, I cannot imagine how bad
    th C64 version was. Jesus I dont want to know :D

Good Luck

This is how bad it was, http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YVz9MaHGM

Makes me cry even now when i watch it

WellyJ wrote: »
    This is how bad it was, http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YVz9MaHGM

Makes me cry even now when i watch it

That version is absolute rubbish to say the least, the amiga version looks great compared to this.... I'd rather watch paint dry then play that on a C64 lol.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

In fairness though, could you possibly make a good conversion for a 1992 game, on a computer that was already one decade old? ;)

I think it would be extremely difficult to say the least, especially when compared to the stanard of other consoles around then!

Im stuggling to remember any arcade conversions i found really dissapointing right now, but will post them up as soon as my memorys rejogged.

I used to love the only Arcade Conversion of Sly Spy Secret Agent, it was out on the commodore 64, a James Bond type clone.

Must try and put some gameplay videos of it up on the tube soon.

Midnight resistance was another great conversion imo.

• Advertisement

In desperation to keep those who had the commodore keen on holding onto them was the probable reason to release popular Sega/ Nintendo titles on these already ancient platforms.

I remember the very last of the commodore 64's coming boxed with SF2.
    The box looked really cool though..

The c64 conversion of midnight resistance was excellent! Ok it didn't have all the levels the arcade did but the sid tunes where amazing...
    I wasn't a huge fan of Sly Spy Secret Agent when i played it on the Amiga and it was no Rolling thunder or Shinobi! (They got plenty of 10p's from me back in the day)

On further research it looks like Tiertex and U.S Gold were responisble for the computer ports of rolling thunder.... interesting

LoGiE wrote: »
    I wasn't a huge fan of Sly Spy Secret Agent when i played it on the Amiga and it was no Rolling thunder or Shinobi! (They got plenty of 10p's from me back in the day)

On further research it looks like Tiertex and U.S Gold were responisble for the computer ports of rolling thunder.... interesting

I forogt about the amiga version! Theres a youtube vid for it here la:

Christ it looks fair slow, what is it with these amiga arcade conversions?!
    The c64 version was a lot more fluid, with an epic soundtrack to match haha.

I think ill record myself a gameplay vid right now.

Thought I'd post this: Tiertex's unofficial sequel to Street Fighter: HUMAN KILLING MACHINE

You must take the code out of the URL first, basically click youtube and paste in the: 5zUkK14bHDk

I made the same mistake with the vid i posted too lol.

edit: lmao that vid is halarious!

My God... That is an abombination! They even released this junk on multiple systems. Defo a contender for worst game of all time

I remember tiertex also made an unofficial megadrive sequel to Strider on the megadrive which was absolute pants. Thankfully capcom righted that wrong and released a proper Strider 2 in the arcades and on the playstation although it's not very well known. Rumour has it that the game was programmed in the programming language of pure awesomeness and having played the game there may be truth in it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the game was programmed in the programming language of pure awesomeness and having played the game there may be truth in it.

Which language would that be? :confused:

Not being a programmer i wouldnt no.

But im guessing some derivate of C?

C super fun awesome gaming power happy smile Mr. Sparkle hyper code +++++, perhaps? :D

I was trying to be funny but failed miserably it seems :(

• Advertisement

Hellloooooo, I have come to fix the vashing machineee...

Advertisement