Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retriever grooming

Options
  • 13-07-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm planning on getting a Golden Retriever puppy and was wondering wheater they needed lots of grooming(i.e. brushing, baths, etc.)? I imagine they do considering the way they look.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

a good brushing every day should be sufficient, I'm not sure what sort of coat they have tbh but if they have a double coat which is sort of fluffy underneath and then harsher on top (like a German Shepherds) then slicker brushes are you're friend lol. They get rid of the excess "fluff" and keep shedding down a bit better.

don't bath the dog unless absolutly necessary as bathing removed the natural oils from the dogs skin. (I think you can get dry shampoo if he's just getting a bit smelly)

a dog on a good diet always has a nice, healthy looking shiny coat though so make sure you start him on a good diet. (i.e. natural brand of dogfood or homemade meat meals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

Cheers thanks for the help Kerrysgold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

no problem, but as I said I'm not 100% sure if they have a double coat or not, never really paid that much attention when I've met goldens lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

hi, i'm a dog groomer and we see most golden retrievers twice a year in say april and oct. they do have a double coat so do need lots of brushing and areas like the tail and the curtains hanging over the hind quarters are likely to matt with no brushing. they will shed a bit so thats why its also good to get them done professionally at least twice a year. the slicker brush is a must but a furminator is great too.

http://www.furminator.com/

needless to say the picture on the site shows the amount of hair you'll be removing! good luck

Advertisement