Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel O'Connell to be 'liberated'

Options
  • 13-07-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Daniel O'Connell is off on his holidays, his first in 126 years! He is off to a nice warehouse for four years, to get away from the pigeons.

I'm all for progress on the public transport front, but it is a terrible shame that the heart of the city has to be torn asunder for four years to enable that.

I suppose it is better than have the statue damaged by ongoing construction works. But when you think of the years of upheaval while the pavements were widened and the lime trees planted, and the aggro that caused, and now they want to undo it all and go through it again. All that time and expense, for nothing??? You have to ask does anyone really have any plan for the city or is it all just another cynical exercise?

I really cannot wait to see lines of 4s and 7s and 10s and 11s and 13s and 16s and 19s and 46As and 121s and 122s and 123s queuing up to cross this 'bailey' bridge when it is erected! That will be more of a monument to the mentality of Dublin than O'Connell ever was. Will there be new bus stops outside the Pro-cathedral? Or do the plebs walk down from Gardiner Street or Busáras? Does anyone have a notion of how Marlborough Street might cope with all these buses? Does anyone REALLY have a grasp of what this is going to be like, for FOUR YEARS???

Seriously, though, will the finished product really be worth all this? It had better be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

when's this happening? hadn't heard of this carry-on before:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Daniel O'Connell is off on his holidays, his first in 126 years! He is off to a nice warehouse for four years, to get away from the pigeons.

I'm all for progress on the public transport front, but it is a terrible shame that the heart of the city has to be torn asunder for four years to enable that.

I suppose it is better than have the statue damaged by ongoing construction works. But when you think of the years of upheaval while the pavements were widened and the lime trees planted, and the aggro that caused, and now they want to undo it all and go through it again. All that time and expense, for nothing???

Oh, I wouldn't say nothing. Several people have gone to early graves because of DCCs "Plaza" on a major thoroughfare.
    I really cannot wait to see lines of 4s and 7s and 10s and 11s and 13s and 16s and 19s and 46As and 121s and 122s and 123s queuing up to cross this 'bailey' bridge when it is erected! That will be more of a monument to the mentality of Dublin than O'Connell ever was. Will there be new bus stops outside the Pro-cathedral? Or do the plebs walk down from Gardiner Street or Busáras? Does anyone have a notion of how Marlborough Street might cope with all these buses? Does anyone REALLY have a grasp of what this is going to be like, for FOUR YEARS???

If they successfully keep all non-bus traffic off the road it will probably be no worse than O'Connell street today.

Of course if they had done that with O'CS and it's approaches in line with the supposed bans in force and included those effing taxis in the ban O'CS wouldn't have be such a congestion problem for the past x years either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

John R wrote: »
    Oh, I wouldn't say nothing. Several people have gone to early graves because of DCCs "Plaza" on a major thoroughfare.

If they successfully keep all non-bus traffic off the road it will probably be no worse than O'Connell street today.

Of course if they had done that with O'CS and it's approaches in line with the supposed bans in force and included those effing taxis in the ban O'CS wouldn't have be such a congestion problem for the past x years either.

John, if ALL banned vehicles didn't use the O'Connell Street/North Frederick Street/Parnell Street and Square as they are not allowed to, then traffic southbound would be a lot quieter and buses would move more efficiently. Given that it is not well policed, one has little hope for Marlborough Street; of course that is another thread for another day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Surely they could just erect bollards like in other countries, one's which can be deactivated by number plate recognition of permitted vehicles, then reactivated when the vehicle is through. Works well in other countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyW8GZ7qdyk&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seriously, though, will the finished product really be worth all this? It had better be.

the real question is will the finished product be worth €6 billion of our money?
    I'm sure the metro will be great and I've no problem with a bit of disruption to get it done- but can't help thinking you could do a lot for the city as a whole with that kind of cash, rather than just a small swathe of the northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

loyatemu wrote: »
    the real question is will the finished product be worth €6 billion of our money?
    I'm sure the metro will be great and I've no problem with a bit of disruption to get it done- but can't help thinking you could do a lot for the city as a whole with that kind of cash, rather than just a small swathe of the northside.

The metro should pay for itself eventually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

loyatemu wrote: »
    That's not an accurate way of looking at it. It's costing 5-6 billion... but over 30 years. In the short term, the cost is minuscule compared to the benefit. And it's a huge swathe of the northside.

As for spending the money on a large number of smaller projects citywide, yawn. We've piddled away millions on that type of thing for years now. That's a recipe for making zero progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

spacetweek wrote: »
    That's not an accurate way of looking at it. It's costing 5-6 billion... but over 30 years. In the short term, the cost is minuscule compared to the benefit. And it's a huge swathe of the northside.

As for spending the money on a large number of smaller projects citywide, yawn. We've piddled away millions on that type of thing for years now. That's a recipe for making zero progress.
    Agreed. It's time we bit the bullet and started an underground network (be it DART or Luas, which is what metro north is of course). Once we get the Interconnector and metroNorth built and running people will finally see the benefits of an underground over and overground on street system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Could anybody explain whats happening and when. Is O'Connell Street going to be closed for the Metro shortly? For 4 Years!? Is that how long it takes to built a few hundred metres of underground track and a station? Hmm... Anywho thanks :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Could anybody explain whats happening and when. Is O'Connell Street going to be closed for the Metro shortly? For 4 Years!? Is that how long it takes to built a few hundred metres of underground track and a station? Hmm... Anywho thanks :pac::pac::pac:

4 years does seem a little excessive. My understanding is that track (at that stage) will be dug using TBM and the stations will be excavated using cut and cover. The station under O'Connell Bridge will obviously be a lot more complicated.

LACMTA are building an extension to one of their light rail underground lines and when road closures are necessary, they work 24/7 to minimise the impact. The biggest closures so far have been four weeks. Why exactly does it take four years in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

markpb wrote: »
    LACMTA are building an extension to one of their light rail underground lines and when road closures are necessary, they work 24/7 to minimise the impact. The biggest closures so far have been four weeks. Why exactly does it take four years in Dublin?

I get so angry when I read things like this. Why are we so incapable of doing anything properly?

Advertisement