Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a masters abroad - US/Canada

Options
  • 13-07-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone out there had experience of doing a masters in an american or canadian college? I'd love to head over and do a commerce related one, any recommendations on where to go?

Also can non-US residents apply for grants and the like there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I'm starting a MBA at the University of Pennsylvania this year.

There didn't seem to be any issue with applying for funding.

In terms of where you should go, you mention that you would like to do a commerce-related one - any further details on what are you interested in? Places like Princeton have very highly regarded Masters in Finance programs if you are after something very quantitative. If it is something more general that you want, there are lots of high quality MBA programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

How'd you find the funding cerbus ? Irish based or US Based?

damnyanks wrote:
    How'd you find the funding cerbus ? Irish based or US Based?

I did say there was no problem with applying for it - actually getting any funding was another matter entirely!

The MBA program at UPenn/Wharton give out some merit based scholarhships and fellowships, but I did not get one. The class seems to be full of over-achievers so I must not have been exceptional enough :)

I'm still working on a few possibilities for funding, but worst-case I'm going to be funding it out of a combination of my own savings and loans - most students (70-80%?) seem to go this route, borrowing money to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Dollar is in your favour and an excellent school. Should be worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

Cerebus if you dot mind me asking how old are you, do you have any management experience

• Advertisement

derden wrote:
    Cerebus if you dot mind me asking how old are you, do you have any management experience

I am 36, and do have management experience (my last job before I went off to do the MBA was leading a team of ~16 engineers). I believe that it is not necessary to have management experience to get into Wharton - the school wants people with leadership potential, and you can demonstrate this without official 'management' experience

Just as an aside: I am definitely on the older end of the class age distribution. We had our first day in Wharton yesterday, and the average age of the incoming class is just over 28 according to one of the speeches we heard. The class ranges in age from 18-43 (yes, 18 - and he already has a Masters degree in Computer Science seemingly - can't wait to meet him).

Advertisement