Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History at postgrad level, general Qs

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

So I'm at that year-left-of-college, possibly-need-to-start-thinking-about-the-future-aaaaagh stage of education, and when in doubt, turn to boards, obviously. :)

Contemplating doing a masters and then, if that hasn't killed me, a PhD in history (my undergrad is history and English, tremendously practical subjects, obviously); would love to get thoughts from anyone who's done that or related subjects on such semi-pressing questions as...

- seriously, it's only the scary people who finish the PhD in three years, right? (Or do I just know the slacker-types who are taking four or five?)

- did you take a year or more out at any point, good idea, bad idea?

- did you find there was a huge jump from undergrad to a taught master's, or is the big gap between master's and doctorate? (The real question is, at what point along the way will I find myself tearing out my hair and screeching hysterically 'I just can't do this!'?)

- did you study history all the way through or do undergrad or a master's in something else sort-of-related (art history, philosophy, politics, gender studies, etc)?

- anything else you wish you'd known before you started?

Comments

Hello! I'm mid-PhD and did an undergrad in history too so I thought I'd give you my opinion
    - It is very possible to do a PhD in 3 years, it does however depend on your subject matter, your ability to not stray too far from your topic in your research and your own general self-discipline, but if it was something you really wanted to do there shouldn't be a problem. Having said that, I'm doing mine in four, as are most of the history students in my college, and am happy to do that (slacker that I am ;) )

- I didn't take a year out after the undergrad (altho we did a year of co-op during our degree) It didn't even enter my head to be honest, I was too busy trying to get support from my history department so I wouldn't have to pay fees (I didn't have a grant)

- I went into a research masters. Having done some independent research projects during the undergrad (choosing a research topic and working on it pretty much without supervision) I loved working with primary sources and knew that research was my best and favourite part of the degree, so no great jump for me. Having said that, I haven't finished yet!

It may sound funny, but the big leaps are not in the work itself but in adjusting to the lifestyle changes; you spend a lot of time on your own, you're without the support of classmates doing the exact same classes and sitting the exact same exams and LOTS of self-belief and self-discipline have to be acquired along the way if you don't already possess them!! :p

I've been in history all the way through and have stayed at the same college. This is the one thing I might done differently. I think it's probably a good thing to experience other colleges and history departments, possibly even outside of Ireland. However, I know and get on very well with all of the history department in my college and their help and support has been invaluable. Also, in great part due to them, I have never yet had to pay any fees (touch wood!!!!) If I had been a newbie in a college it might not have been as easy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

hi op i did english and history at ba level too.i took a year out because i didn't know what course to do next-couldn't find a job though,and that will be even harder this year,so a major factor to consider there.i'm going for a multi disciplinary ma in sept in nuig which will combine english and history and other things.if you continue the two subjects this might be an idea.also i've been told a language is very imp/useful,otherwise your restricted to english speaking history.good luck with choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭COH

Currently 2 years into my Phd in history having done a BA and MA in history also. Have not taken a year out yet and no regrets so far anyway!

4 years is the standard amount of time for a PhD, however 3 is an attainable goal if you stay on top of your work. I dont think there is anything in particular that I know now that I wished I had earlier, but there are a few ways you can make your own postgrad experience as stress free and anjoyable as possible like choosing a topic that you genuinely enjoy and are interested in before dedicating yourself to it. I know a few people who are working on areas they dont really like and as a result are finding their research laboured and motivation lacking. Talk to potential supervisors in differant colleges before making a decision on what to do where, your relationship with your supervisor will have an effect of your work.

The 'gap' between under and post-grad, and between MA and PhD is only as big as you make it. If you enjoy your research, are aware of what your argument is and where it fits in to existing research than you may not notice any gap at all, and if your lucky like me you may even find it easier. Also, like stated above, its never a bad idea to consider doing your postgrad in a differant college than where you are doing your degree. While its not necessary, some argue that it looks better on your academic CV if you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Cool, thanks guys - feel vaguely calmer about the whole thing now, yay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hey claire just wanted to add,try and figure out what you want to apply for now,there won't be much time to think about it in final year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement